PDA

View Full Version : chamfering irregular shaped cylinder ?????

stevesideas
11-24-2006, 01:52 PM
Hi guys and gals,

Can anyone help me with this.

http://www.axxb15.dsl.pipex.com/cgtalkimages/help/cylinder.jpg

As you can see I have a cylinder with a curve cut out of the top. I have chamfered the edges, but how do i link up the edges to the cylinder without losing the cylinderical form and keeping the mesh clean ?

Any help is really appreciated :)

Cheers

Steve

urgaffel
11-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Do you mean that you need to quad it so it subdivides well and still retains the shape and has nice shading? Off the top of my head I'd say add and remove segments. Add some segments to the cylinder (use a cylinder with more segments as a reference if you need it) and maybe remove a few segments from the wavy line that was cut out.

stevesideas
11-24-2006, 02:02 PM
Yeah, i guess i need to quad it...but if i bring down the edges from the top (the curve) and bring it all the way down..there is obviously more detail on the whole of the edge of the cylinder at that point and they cylinder then looks slightly deformed...finding this quite hard to explain as I just model I dont necessarily know the correct terminology.

OK no worries. I just deleted some of the edges on the top of the cylinder and have them looping straight down where the cylinder edges are. But it would be nice to be able to work on something more complicated without having to resort to deleting edges and losing detailed cuvature on the top of the cylinder.....

Thanks for help :)

CGTalk Moderation
11-24-2006, 02:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.