PDA

View Full Version : question: making a ripple effect with the zig zag filter

trevlb
02-11-2003, 11:12 PM
i want to make a basic ripple effect as if a drop of water hit a liquid surface and it rippled out and died down again

i have been trying to do this with the zig zag filter in after effects. the individual frames look good, but when i animate the parameters to get the ripple to travel i get poor results.

when i animate the 'amount' parameter: the transition is smooth, but the ripples don't travel, they just raise up.

when i animate the 'ridges' parameter: it looks like the ripples would travel, but instead a new ripple just pops into the image as the amount increases. (i am using linear interpolation from amount 1 to 9)

my question is: is the effect i want possible with this filter?

if so, does anyone know how to animate the parameters to get that effect?

if not, is there another 'out of box' after effects filter that will do this?

thanks

dg
02-12-2003, 02:30 AM
If I'm not mistaken you can use Caustics from the Evolution plugins to do that, if you don't have them, try with ripple it's possible to achive good results with him also.
If you want to add just this fx you can do it in editing using a plugin from pinnacle.

There is a workaround that you also could try here goes:

Using KPT 6 for Photoshop

- Create a 50% gray layer and add a light filter to give diferent shades of gray ( you can also play with gradients)

- Open one of those KPT plugins that creates wave ( I can't remeber the plugin name but if you have it you won't be dificult to find him) is the one that open a box and when you click and drag he starts a simulation.

- With the plugins window still opened select the export option and select one video format to export the animation

- In AE imports this generated waves video, and set him to overlay.

This is a very stupid thing to do, but I have done that in the past and worked for me.

But search for the evolution plugins or any others that does this kind of stuff.
There a many on the market, and some of them have trial versions.

See Ya!

trevlb
02-12-2003, 03:10 PM
thanks for the tips diogo

right now i am working on a company's computer and don't have the option of getting any plugins at the moment.

i tried ripple and it wasn't quite the look i was going for but i may give it another try.

has anyone else had any success with zig zag, or other 'out of box' after effects filters for this effect?

dg
02-12-2003, 09:57 PM
If you coul send a pic of the fx that you are trying to achieve I may be able to help in a better way.

See Ya!

trevlb
02-14-2003, 11:34 PM
diogo,

here is a still of the effect i'm going for. i want the ripples to animate out from the center untill they look like the posted image and then as they continue to go away from center, dissolve away.

basically like the jurassic park logo rippling in the puddle of water.

thanks for the help

dg
02-15-2003, 06:00 AM
I would go for the Ripple under the distort tab effects of AE, with a few tweaks you can achieve some pretty honest results, but for more fancy results go for Caustics from Evolution Effects.

Goo Luck!
See ya :)

trevlb
02-17-2003, 07:28 PM
diogo,

thanks for the tip. i'll give it a try

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.