PDA

View Full Version : greayscale image for particle emitter?

acgraham
11-24-2006, 12:10 PM
hello,

I was wondering, is it possible to use an animated greyscale image as a particle emitter (and im not talking about the operator button under the shape menu)

Its because i like creating emitters with particle flow in max, but i want to use combustion to actually render the final effect out.

cheers for any help.

thatoneguy
11-24-2006, 10:43 PM
Do you mean emit based on luminance like PFlow? No. Just line, dot and area.

Is there a way to map movies to particles rendered in PFlow? Yes. Render out a UVW pass, and then use the Gbuffer builder and 3D Texture tool, then apply your Combustion layer to the UVW coordinates of the particles (if you rendered them using planes/facing planes/spheres/etc geometry).

acgraham
11-25-2006, 06:49 AM
hey thatoneguy, thanks for the advice.

"Yes. Render out a UVW pass, and then use the Gbuffer builder and 3D Texture tool, then apply your Combustion layer to the UVW coordinates of the particles (if you rendered them using planes/facing planes/spheres/etc geometry)."

- sorry but im really new to using combustion. i dont really understand, do you think you could spell it out to me through the steps?

thanks again.

thatoneguy
11-25-2006, 03:10 PM
If you have 3D studio max, render out the particles with geometry for the shape.

Here is a pretty decent tutorial on exporting RPFs.
http://www.rockisland.com/~irthlingz/combustion/combustion_v2.htm

and here's a pretty quick explanation of how to do the rest in combustion:
http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_read_post.cgi?forumid=18&postid=771572&archive=T

Sorry I dont' have time, or combustion in front of me. I won't be on my workstation until Monday. If you still haven't figured it out by then I'll be happy to do a step by step for you.

- Gavin

acgraham
11-25-2006, 07:17 PM
thanks for the references, ill try them out tommorrow! right now im going to bed. cheers again.

PiXeL_MoNKeY
11-27-2006, 05:29 PM
To get the effect you want you would need the Particle Illusion 3 engine. Combustion only has the Particle Illusion 2 engine. You could buy PI3 and use that to do the effect in the same way you would work with Combustion particles, but with alot more advanced features. I hope that at some point we will see an update to the Combustion particles, but I have no idea if it will ever happen.

-Eric

CGTalk Moderation
11-27-2006, 05:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.