PDA

View Full Version : How much do XSI upgrades cost?

Jon-Huhn
11-24-2006, 08:30 AM
I'm a longtime Max user considering other solutions, so I'm researching some XSI questions I have.

I can't seem to find this information on the XSI website. Barring any special promotions, how much does each version of XSI cost to upgrade? For instance, from Foundation 5 to 6, Advanced 5 to 6, and even Foundation to Advanced, etc?

Thanks!

oglu
11-24-2006, 09:17 AM
here we go...

Once shipping, all versions will be available for download for upgrades from existing licenses or first time 3D customers at www.softimage.com/download (http://www.softimage.com/download). With the launch of XSI 6, Softimage is offering a special, limited time upgrade promotion. All registered XSI Foundation customers can upgrade to XSI 6 Foundation for US$395 or XSI Essentials for US$1,495 until December 20th, 2006.

http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/pricing/default.aspx

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3844

Jon-Huhn
11-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Thanks, but, notice in my post I said "Barring any special promotions.." In other words, I don't care about special deals. I want to know what it normally costs to upgrade XSI.

For instance, with Max, I have to pay $3500 for the license (sometimes you can talk the distributor down to $3000), and with a subscription, upgrades are only $400 (assuming a new full version is realease every year, which has been the case for years now).

So if I bought XSI 5 Foundation for $500, how much would it cost NORMALLY to upgrade to Foundation 6?

Jon-Huhn
11-24-2006, 10:34 AM
Same for Essentials or Advanced.... if I buy a licence for one, how much would it normally cost to upgrade to the next version?

ALSO, if I had bought Essentials, and later decided I needed Advanced... how much to move up to the next level?

I can't find this info on the XSI site.

Thanks.

oglu
11-24-2006, 10:43 AM
in this case you better ask your reeseller...

Jon-Huhn
11-24-2006, 10:48 AM
Why is it taboo to disclose the upgrade costs of XSI?

dwigfor
11-24-2006, 11:07 AM
As said before, it's probably best to check with a reseller... However, here's what I think is true....

Foundation -> Foundation - must pay full price after the special (I think it's $350 to upgrade to v6 now) has past. There is no upgrade discount.

Essentials -> Essentials - to upgrade, it's $1000. If you buy maintenance (before the new version is announced, I think, maybe they'll give you some leeway), maintenance is $800/year, and there is no charge for getting new versions, plus you get support.

Adv -> Adv - to upgrade I think is $2000. If you went the maintenance route, I think that's $1800/year, and again you get free upgrades and support.

So, assuming that Softimage delivers a new version every year, buying maintenance is definately the way to go, assuming that you always want to stay on top with the newest version. It's cheaper than buying just the upgrade, and you also get support.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Jon-Huhn
11-25-2006, 01:48 PM
Thankyou, all.

I'll find a reseller if I get more serious with my inqueries. But you've given me enough to get a rough idea of how the pricing system works.

Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
11-25-2006, 01:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.