PDA

View Full Version : 6 15 second long animations in 2 weeks. Crits Please :)

Hodaararar
11-24-2006, 09:06 AM
Hi guys,

I will be posting 6 animations here from my university assignment, please keep in mind im new to this. We had to create two alterd bipeds and animate them in a convincing way. All 6 animations done in 2 weeks. Well heres my first animation! :)

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/seanink/?action=view&current=FLINNANI1.flv

Crits and comments very much welcome
Sean

OneSharpMarble
11-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Wait, you have to do 6 animations, each 15 seconds long, all due in 2 weeks? Thats a minute and a half of full body animation in 2 weeks.

You know you wont be able to use any of it on your reel right? If this is an assignment from the teacher I would be taking another look at his/her credentials.

Hodaararar
11-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Hey Marble, yeah this is just to get us into animating, kind of breaking us in, nothing as serious as show reel quality, and we actually got the assignment beginning of November technically, but a couple of weeks was spent on character development and sketches, concept art etc.

And yeah i know, 2 weeks is gonna kill me, especially as all this is brand new to me. Well all i can do is try right? :)

So besides that, how is the animation. I know its not going to be anything pro and far from it but would like to know if its ok for a total beginner.

moose2k1
11-24-2006, 07:49 PM
Ya I agree with above. Thats a crazy amount of work for even a seasoned pro to do, let alone a newbie!

I looked at your clip, and I dont' wanna get into tid bits, but overall, your timing is off. It almost looks llike its playing in SLOW MOTION. Try to work on the timing for your poses, then we can talk about the principles of animation in your work.

Hodaararar
11-24-2006, 07:53 PM
hey thanks Moose :) yes i agree this one was a bit clumsy in the timing area. Pose to Pose was used but not as much as i should have. THe next one hopefully will be better for you to crit, ill be back. ;)

michelbidart
11-25-2006, 02:09 AM
Seriously, you should forget the other 5 and invest on the 15 second clip you have. Make it a good one. Doing 45 seconds of animation a week is a stupid amount of animation and will accomplish nothing by the end of it. You will probably learn how to use the software, but that's something that will happen no matter how long the animation is. If you are a newbie, I'd go for 5 seconds or less a week, so you can apply the principles properly. My opinion, though.

Hodaararar
11-25-2006, 02:49 AM
michelbidart : believe me if i could do that i would, dont really have an option in this though. I would lose too many marks if i only handed in acouple of good ones and the others not handed in. Teacher said its imperitive we hand in all 6, even if a couple arent totaly done, or we would lose more marks.

Thanks for the comment though and tottaly agree with you that learning the tools will come with time. Hopefully the next assignment will be a bit toned down so we can focus more on one ortwo short clips. ANyway, back to work, should have the second animation done tomorrow for review.

Cheers guys

Kickflipkid687
11-25-2006, 04:28 AM
I have to do 15 game character animations in 2 weeks about. Plus other work on top of that, but its not to bad. But mine are only about 1-2 second loops. But your animation looks quite nice. Its a little choppy in parts, but overall good. Im always having trouble with getting the weight to look right. I can get motions pretty good, but the weight always seems off.

Hodaararar
11-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Kickflipkid687 : yeah, im trying to get the 10 rules of animation in there but as you say its bloody hard to do correctly. I suppose the more you do it and study reall people the better you will get.

The parts i dont particularly like in my ani is the fist punching is a bit off time wise, and the end throw isnt realy that natural feeling, his arm goes out too far i think.

Well good luck on your anis buddy! :)

Hodaararar
11-26-2006, 07:49 PM
Second one is complete, allthough can use some well needed texturing etc but i really need to crack on. If the last day i get time, ill go back and sort them out.

Heres the link! : http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/seanink/?action=view&current=SPLOTTOANI1.flv
Splotto the alien, sitting in his flat bored out of his mind when he spots something on tv, the olympics showing the golden cup. Splotto jumps with joy at the thought of posessing such a shiny item.

PS : sorry about the quality, it seemed to get worse when i uploaded.

High points in my opinion : the walk, object interactivity
Low points : the dance, grabbing tv to begin with.

mistasam02
11-27-2006, 03:18 AM
wow 15 sec is a long time for 6 seperate animations! im in an animation class right now and we're spending 4 weeks on 20 sec pieces. lol :D so good luck to ya!

as for your 2nd posted clip, i have no idea what just happened. :shrug: he was watching tv, artsy camera move, then got up, picked up the tv, dropped, and walked to the wall. what was his emotion? did he love the tv and kiss it, then drop it? or did he get mad at it? your poses would help reveal more expression in his actions, and the timing could be a tad better too... but thats another part of it alltogether. anyway i wish u good luck, and keep on practicin!

Hodaararar
11-27-2006, 03:38 AM
Thanks mistasam02, i agree with you on the expression. I think if i could animate him smiling and such would really help with what it all means. Oh well, the next ones coming up in a couple of days :) , starring Flinn Bodge, the first character when he finds exscalaber the sword. hehe

Be back soon!

fuchamecha
11-28-2006, 09:19 AM
This is very cool! i would agree that it's not enough time (it's a shame to spend time on something you ca'nt really keep if it's rushed), i'd say do your best to get all 6 done for teach, then revisit them after the deadline, perhaps choose the best 2 or 3 and polish em - that way u get to keep something for your showreel:thumbsup:

Hodaararar
11-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks fuchamecha, i probably wont be able to use any of these, as its just an alterd biped, no skin modifiers, envolopes etc, the good news is though the nest assignment will be using envolopes and a full mesh! :) So hopefully he wont ask us to do 6 animations with that one. :D

3rd ani is on its way, estimated completion sometime today. :)

Gasparas
11-29-2006, 11:31 AM
Despite the lack of time try to do your best, first two pieces looks comfortable for a newb :). Waiting for the third one.

Hodaararar
11-29-2006, 02:16 PM
FInished the third clip now, this one shows Flinn finding a sword much like exscalaber. Spent more time fiddling with the camera on this one.

Cons IMO : I changed the timing on the beginning but must have forgot to check it, notice the slight pause? urgh, ill go back and sort that out if i have time. :)
Part 1 of 2, so that sucks for you. sorry

Pros : More comfortable with the camera now, and kind of like the lighting. Rubbing hands together.

HERES THE LINK : http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/seanink/?action=view&current=FLINNANI2.flv

CGTalk Moderation
11-29-2006, 02:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.