PDA

View Full Version : Small studio FX solution

lragno
02-11-2003, 06:28 PM
I originaly posted this in the "general discussions" section, but maybe this area would be more appropriate.

-----------------------------
Currently, I need to make a decision (and a purchase) about setting up a small FX post-production studio.

So.... I need some expert ( what I mean by expert is actual day-to-day use by industry pros) advice about which route is best to go.

Here are my options.

1. MAC-based setup with Maya 4.5, Shake and FCP

2. PC-based setup with 3ds MAX 5, Combustion

A brief history of my experience:
I'm fairly familiar with max, so if I go with the MAC/MAYA option that would mean having to learn MAYA/SHAKE from scratch. But, at the same time having access to FCP, which is a great edit app.

OTOH, MAX/COMBUSTION seems like a powerful combo. Though I dont know any editor on the PC that is as good as FCP.

Maybe a 3rd option combining the 2 platforms? But that would mean more money.

Anyway, please dont turn this into a flame war. I just need some practical advise from people who use these apps in thier jobs.

thanks in advance for responses.

:)

Nando
02-11-2003, 08:01 PM
Get a little of BOTH!! :)

FCP and blackmagic decklink Capture Card works in OSX only, but has QuickTime based uncompressed 10 BIT Codecs for Windows /Mac.

Decklink 10 BIT $995.00
FCP $995.00

http://203.94.147.64/productsdeck.asp

3dsMax 5.1 /Combustion v2.1

MSRP $3495.00 maybe lower
Combustion windows or Mac $995.00

With OSX you can network too a windows Machine that hopefully has gigabit and badda bing badda boom. :)

So option 3 is the best IMHO

ScottJenkins
02-12-2003, 06:03 AM
I use Max/Combustion extensively, and aside from a few bits of clunkiness here and there, it's a good combo -- especially with the new max rendering options, the rpf file format and the ability to paint with combustion.
The question is what will be your general output. If you are going out to video, this is a great combo. If you're going out to film you may want to give Digital Fusion a try for your compositing.
However, with Combustion's price drop, and it's compatiblilty with Max, you could get that (in addition to fusion) and consider it a really amazing plug in.
You're right on the editing conundrum, and you may want to get a mac just to use fcp. Just send your renders over as targas and go from there.

Good luck.
:thumbsup:

alphatron
02-14-2003, 07:27 AM
Though I dont know any editor on the PC that is as good as FCP.

Try Avid Xpress DV for WinXP :p

I use it and prefer it over FCP any day of the week.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.