PDA

View Full Version : layered texture problem in Maya

comic-craig
11-23-2006, 04:15 AM
Every once in awhile- when working with layered textures (and possibly shaders) I notice a black layer pops up at the top of the layering. I'm not sure why it happens- but it doesn't seem to just come from deleting old linked in nodes. Anyone ever get this? Any way to avoid it?

Craig

acidream
11-24-2006, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I get that every once and a while too. I'm not sure exactly when it pops up though. I usually don't notice it until my shaders start redering black, then I have to go hunt it down and remove it.

MaNdRaK18
11-25-2006, 12:13 AM
It pops up everytime You disconnect an input to the layered texture. And yeah, it IS annoying.
So - everytime You do that, be ready to delete miraculously spawned black layer in order to get shading results You predicted.

djx
11-27-2006, 09:56 AM
I've had the black swatch appear when all I did was double click the layered texture-node to edit its attributes. Its not consistent though. Just sometimes. Once you're used to watching out for it, you can kill it before you start wondering why your renders look different, but I have wasted too much time on it in the past when I forgot to notice it at the time.

Mentalray and mix8layers does the job for me now.

comic-craig
11-27-2006, 08:26 PM
MaNdRaK18- I am aware that it will appear if I disconnect an input, but like djx mentioned, I seem to notice it even when I just click on the node.

djx- do you only get it from a double click? I wonder if its reading the click as a way to create a layer. Do you get it when you just select and open the attribute editor with a hot key. Unfortunately, I'm limited to using the maya software shader nodes on the project I'm working on, its a pipeline issue... so mix8layers is out for me.

Thank you for your suggestions

djx
11-27-2006, 09:26 PM
I think I only get it when I double-click.

CGTalk Moderation
11-27-2006, 09:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.