PDA

View Full Version : Vote to get special pricing on Cinema 4D

marcopio
02-10-2003, 10:16 PM
I just spoke with Maxon and they are interested in doing a special pricing for A:M users that want to switch to Cinema 4D version 8.

I need to give them how many people would be interested in this deal, that way they can figure out a pricing. The more users the better the price I am sure.

If you are interested, please post to this thread.

Thank you.

dfaris
02-10-2003, 11:44 PM
I would like to check it out but there price would have to be pretty good because right now its way to much.

koon69
02-11-2003, 12:00 AM
If the price is right. Id go for it.

Hookflash
02-11-2003, 12:12 AM
I'm VERY interested!

marcopio
02-11-2003, 01:00 AM
Once I get an appoximate number of people that are interested, I will call Maxon and see that price they will do then I will post it.

Hookflash
02-11-2003, 01:25 AM
Marcopio: Cool. Hopefully more people will have responded to this thread by then.

binder3d
02-11-2003, 02:56 AM
The price will have to be really good. Realsoft is looking good to.

marcopio
02-11-2003, 03:11 AM
I agree, I am hopefull if we can get enought people interested, that the price will be really good. I am going to try my best.

Wegg
02-11-2003, 03:33 PM
huh. . . I'd even be interested if the price was right. . .

Natess44
02-11-2003, 03:59 PM
Make a poll.

marcopio
02-11-2003, 04:54 PM
Cinema 4D - I am trying to get special upgrade pricing but need your help.

I just spoke with Maxon and they are interested in doing a special pricing for A:M users that want to switch to Cinema 4D version 8.

I need to give them how many people would be interested in this deal, that way they can figure out a pricing. The more users the better the price I am sure.

If you are interested, please vote to this thread.

Hookflash
02-12-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by dfaris
I would like to check it out but there price would have to be pretty good because right now its way to much.

It retails for $100 more than Lightwave. Seems pretty reasonable to me. Then again, I suppose (from what I hear) it doesn't have comparable modelling tools...

dfaris
02-13-2003, 01:51 AM
Well any word yet?

marcopio
02-13-2003, 04:37 AM
I will speak with the Maxon person I am dealing with today (Thursday) and let her know how many people are interested.

I was trying to give a little time for people to vote so that I would have a higher number to give Maxon. The more people I am sure the better the price.

HellBorn
02-13-2003, 11:25 AM
Did you talk about how it should work out concerning local dealers witch the allways use otherwise.

I have allready recived an offer from Maxon trough my local dealer. I mean ... who has the final say about the price to the customer.

I am currently evaluating it and I like it pretty much.
The big minus so far is that you cant save and reuse animations without workarounds. Really dissapointing because how hard could it be to save out the animation data to a file and match it to the skeleton on import?

If I'm not wrong. Even a $299 application can do that.

I also find Cinema to be pretty comparable to EUI.

The plus for EUI would be on modeling tools (even if it dont handle polygon models) and the plus on Cinema would be the rock steady stability that only showed a litte warning box even though I run out of all my memory. When I did the same with EUI the application hang.

I will continue to evaluate Cinema but currently I'm waiting to see how the local dealer is going to handle my request for compleate manuals witch not was on the Demo CD!! and not can be found for download.
Just my 5cent.

Hookflash
02-13-2003, 11:56 PM
Well, a Maxon sales rep just called me (I wonder how she got my number...?) and said I could get C4D XL 8 for $1195 as a competitive upgrade. I will be deciding within the next week, but it sure seems like a good deal (compared to the regular price of $1595). So, now I have to decide between a new 3d app, or a new computer (my 1.2ghz Athlon is getting old). Those new Shuttle SN41G2's look pretty sweet...

koon69
02-14-2003, 12:25 AM
Your kidding - please say that you are. $1200! LW was/is offering $995. I say get the PC and create stuf!! I have used C4D for a short time- helped a buddy finish a job. C4D is easy to learn compared to LW and Max. But what I hated was the booleans. Alwasy left bizarre artifacts. Had to subdiv like nad just to get a clean form. Nurbs is just ok. No real tools. I would go with EIU or Rhino with Flamingo. Rhino has nor aniamtion but it is a killer nurbs app. Like Is aid if it was me Id get the PC.

Hookflash
02-14-2003, 12:46 AM
koon69: I've pretty much decided against LW, since Maxon seems to have a much brighter future. Development on C4D seems more active and open (none of this "hush, hush" BS). Also, it seems that C4D would be at least equal to LW + Messiah:Animate in terms of features, but cheaper with the competitive upgrade. Still, though... A completely new PC would be nice, except that I know it'll be obsolete within months.

koon69
02-14-2003, 01:16 AM
Im no big fan of LW. But I dont see that their future is in doubt. What makes you think they are going away? Not sure about that. C4d v8 looks real good. But modeling is not their strong suit. Download the demo and you will see. Maybe Wings 3d and C4d? C4d has a nice render and its fast. Not as fast as EIU - but fast. I think C4d has come along way since v5. Doesnt hurt they have spent mucho$$ on advertising. Like I said I would go with the new pc and get wings 3d. Wings also exports to Hash. One reason I have wings. If I think wings can create the model faster I use it and bring it to Hash. Download the demo of C4d. You'll be surprised that sometimes fiction is truer than fact. Oh yeah I hate the hush hush over at newtek and luxology. Its like a bunch of school kids arguing over lunch.

My Fault
02-14-2003, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by koon69
Oh yeah I hate the hush hush over at newtek and luxology. Its like a bunch of school kids arguing over lunch.

There is no hush hush going on. A few people who aren't smart enough to know what's going on keep perpetuating rumors. Then people who don't understand buy in to them. If you want to go with C4D, then do so, but to say that there is any issue with Lightwaves future is just plain ridiculous.

Vong
02-14-2003, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by Hookflash
Well, a Maxon sales rep just called me (I wonder how she got my number...?) and said I could get C4D XL 8 for $1195 as a competitive upgrade. I will be deciding within the next week, but it sure seems like a good deal (compared to the regular price of $1595). So, now I have to decide between a new 3d app, or a new computer (my 1.2ghz Athlon is getting old). Those new Shuttle SN41G2's look pretty sweet...

Yes, those SN41G2's are sweet! Just put one together.... $1195 for C4D 8 sounds good, but Maxon needs to get their head out of their rear and start taking a look at who their main competition is, and what the competition is selling for... That's gonna end up hurting them more than anything else.

And, no, I don't care if it's fine German Engineering!! :)

UserDelta
02-14-2003, 06:09 AM
dont see how there is any doubt in lw's future when everyone at newtek says they're actively developing the next gen of lightwave, that there will a new lw update to be out soon, that a new website will go up soon, a new update for aura to link with lw just been released, new users and lw community growing larger every day, that everyone at newtek is actively participating in the forums to get users thoughts, things have been a lot more active if you ask me. you think the programers are getting paid to sit around all day and play yahoo pool or maybe that newtek doesnt have the money to hire or pay for programers? i doubt that. and even if you want to consider luxology in the picture... there are actually idiots that think luxology is going to develope something to compete with lw. maybe they havent noticed that the focus of luxology's website is LW, and that they themselves say that lw's future is bright. if those guys are keeping quiet, its probably because they're too busy with work, which is a good thing.

HellBorn
02-14-2003, 07:26 AM
koon69: I've pretty much decided against LW, since Maxon seems to have a much brighter future. Development on C4D seems more active and open (none of this "hush, hush" BS). Also, it seems that C4D would be at least equal to LW + Messiah:Animate in terms of features, but cheaper with the competitive upgrade. Still, though... A completely new PC would be nice, except that I know it'll be obsolete within months.

Probably others can answer this better as I have almost made no animations at all. Not in AM and not in other apps as I'm most into still images but:

After some evaluations and testing of Cinema, EUI and Messiah I think that Cinema and EIU and Messiah is pretty comparable when it comes to the model setup part. None of them does however compare to messiah when it comes to actually animate that model. Im only a bigginer but allready after spending about 4-6 hours in each application I have lots of questions about how to do stuff in Cinema and EIU that was relly simple to do in Messiah. Just the fact that you can save out your animations to as clips and also have tools to match an imported clip to a skeleton (so you can reuse it even if bone names not matches) would be enough for me to say that Messiah is a lot better.
When one sitts down with Messiah one understand that this is an application for the animator. With Cinema and EUI it's more like 'Oops we almost forgot the timeline'.

Even so.
As the Messiah + Lightwave combination simply is to expensive for me I will probably go for EUI, Cinema or take a chance on Messiah Studio.

I dont know about Messiah Studios render but the EUI and Cinema render engines will make you feel just as you bought a new computer if you compare to AMs render speed. ;)

UserDelta
02-14-2003, 10:08 AM
HellBorn: LW offer+ Messiah = $1300 thats $100 more then c4d offer
if thats too much, you don even need messiah.
auto character 4 is $90 http://acs.polas.net/acs/
keytrak is $99
http://www.spatial-design.com/plugins/KeyTrak/index.htm

those two plugs will cover for lw rigging and animation peeves.

i think its much more advantagous to go with lw, you get an awesome modeler, world class renderer, hypervoxels, motionmixer, motion designer, countless numbers of free tools, scripts, plugs to do anything you want. you just get a lot more choices of plugin if you ever wanted them, along with a large user group.

check out some cool plugins
http://www.dstorm.co.jp/FXBREAK/e/ (likely going to replace lw's dynamic system)
http://www.worley.com/G2/g2_main.html#top (i dont think you'll find this for c4d)
http://www.worley.com/sasquatch/sasquatch.html#top (or this, and they're working on sasquatch 2)

HellBorn
02-14-2003, 02:02 PM
HellBorn: LW offer+ Messiah = $1300 thats $100 more then c4d offer

Where did you find that offer?
The price I have seen on Lightwave was the $995 valid last month offer + Messiah $595 for a total of $1590.

Thats about $400 + 30% import tax more more than I have to pay for Cinema XL.

I also feel that to learn booth Messiah and Lightwave might be a bit to much.

But..
I will take a closer look on your suggestions.

My Fault
02-14-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by HellBorn
The price I have seen on Lightwave was the $995 valid last month offer + Messiah $595 for a total of $1590.

But..

If your looking to buy Messiah, check around with people on the Yahoo groups Messiah list. Many are selling it for far less then what you would pay for it new. You could probably snag a pretty big deal.

S3D
02-14-2003, 06:03 PM
It retails for $100 more than Lightwave. Seems pretty reasonable to me. Then again, I suppose (from what I hear) it doesn't have comparable modelling tools... re-C4D

Wings would more than likely take care of that wee concern :D

Oh, and anyone care to speculate whether or not LW will include icon based UI along with it's "classic" display? This happens and it will open up to a whole new crowd, on the other hand, IMHO should this not come about then I see LW as simply holding it's own crowd and not much changing... any bets?

UserDelta
02-14-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by HellBorn

But..

the messiah plug for lw is $295
thats what lw'rs use.

from the messiah website:
"project:messiah 1.5 (Original plug-in version)

project:messiah 1.5 Now Shipping!
Note: The LightWave and Inspire versions are identical but you must order the correct one for it to work.
Please be sure you have read the system requirements before ordering.
US $295 Windows LightWave Windows Inspire
"

UserDelta
02-14-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by S3D
re-C4D

Wings would more than likely take care of that wee concern :D

Oh, and anyone care to speculate whether or not LW will include icon based UI along with it's "classic" display? This happens and it will open up to a whole new crowd, on the other hand, IMHO should this not come about then I see LW as simply holding it's own crowd and not much changing... any bets?

you cant model in sub-d mode in wings as you can in lw :)
buttons are slow :) when you're good with a program you shouldn't be clicking around for buttons most of the time. i think the most experienced users will all use shortcut keys, it takes a split second, then you can hide almost everything except for the viewport. i do all my modeling in 2 perspective viewports with everything else hidden.

marcopio
02-14-2003, 07:54 PM
I spoke with Maxon today and this is what they said:

If we get 20 people to purchase Cinema 4D XL Bundle, they will give us 50% off.

Our price will be $847.50
Retail is $1,695.00

nerrazzi
02-14-2003, 08:41 PM
Sounds good to me, there's even a price slash on shave and Haircut. http://www.maxoncomputer.com/

S3D
02-14-2003, 09:09 PM
buttons are slow when you're good with a program you shouldn't be clicking around for buttons most of the time. i think the most experienced users will all use shortcut keys, it takes a split second, then you can hide almost everything except for the viewport. i do all my modeling in 2 perspective viewports with everything else hidden.

pretty much the same for Wings re- shortcuts...

though for all intensive purposes I believe we have here a case whereby the more experienced user's dictate one line of thinking and seem to forget that there is a whole market of potential new user's out there just ready and waiting with fists full of dollars...

I believe that it is this line of thought that has brought C4D to the new users in quicker time than say LW, and not just price or feature alone... nope, the gui is pretty intuitive and friendly like...

Say what you like regarding the impotance of UI's, but, before you go too far consider some other pretty powerful mid stream apps such as Carrara, trueSpace etc and the woes they have directly resulting from people not liking their UI's...

Don't get me wrong here, as we all know how powerful a solution LW presents, but the realities are either you like this approach or you don't, period...

na, I am all for choices... classic or icon... and to those not that familiar with the LW classic look then icon absolutely makes sense until they find their way around...

anyhoo, as said, just my opinion... and oh yes, good point re sub-d, but in support of Wings, well, hey not a bad start for such a wee app eh?

cyas

UserDelta
02-14-2003, 09:24 PM
i agree :) choices are good, although i dont agree that icons are as user friendly as text buttons, but they do make the interface look more interesting, which i guess is important to new users.
i like wings too, its an excellent modeler. i would use it over most other apps except for probably lw and xsi.

HellBorn
02-15-2003, 12:52 AM
I spoke with Maxon today and this is what they said:

If we get 20 people to purchase Cinema 4D XL Bundle, they will give us 50% off.

Our price will be $847.50
Retail is $1,695.00

If we get enough buyers for this deal I can't afford to not take it.
;)

Vong
02-15-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by UserDelta
the messiah plug for lw is $295
thats what lw'rs use.

from the messiah website:
"project:messiah 1.5 (Original plug-in version)

project:messiah 1.5 Now Shipping!
Note: The LightWave and Inspire versions are identical but you must order the correct one for it to work.
Please be sure you have read the system requirements before ordering.
US $295 Windows LightWave Windows Inspire
"

Actually, more and more LWer's are using messiah:animate, as the old 1.5.x plugin had some issues with LW 6 and 7. And messiah:animate is currently $595.

So, while you guys are both right, you're both wrong as well! :cool:

I would personally opt for messiah:animate, as you'd then be able to move from platform to platform if needed.

Nonproductive
02-15-2003, 12:53 AM
Marcopio - check yoru Privaet Messages.

Hookflash
02-15-2003, 07:38 AM
Well, I just maxed out my credit card on a new system, so looks like I won't be getting in on this deal. I'll have a kickass system, though;)

HellBorn
02-17-2003, 10:39 AM
marcopio:

I suppose that you have to collect the emails or something from those that shows a real interest so that you know how many we really are or how do you plan to handle this?

marcopio
02-17-2003, 05:41 PM
I am open to ideas on how to get everyone who are really interested in purchasing Cinema 4D.

I will ask the person at Maxon how she would like to handle it and will post her answer.

marcopio
02-21-2003, 09:41 PM
Here is how to place the order for the special pricing on the Cinema 4D XL Bundle version 8.

Call Halimah at Maxon at:
805-376-3333 XT 5127

or email her at:
halimah@maxon.net

Halimah will take everyones name and once 20 people have called in, she can process the order for the special price of $847.50 (50% off).

Wegg
02-21-2003, 09:56 PM
Half off. . . Wow. . . thats a pretty good deal. I sure hope you round up 20 people. . .

marcopio
02-21-2003, 10:06 PM
Me too, its really a sweet deal for 50% off. Maxon really worked with and answered all of my questions. I have a good dealing with them so far.

marcopio
02-25-2003, 07:13 PM
Email Halimah at Maxon at:
halimah@maxon.net

or call at:

805-376-3333 XT 5127

Nonproductive
02-25-2003, 10:39 PM
Marcopio -

The offer is too good to pass up, so I'm in..assuming I can reach maxon.

I've tired to get a hold of Halimah today with no success and the email address you listed bounced. :(

marcopio
02-25-2003, 11:23 PM
Hi,

Here is Halimah's email at Maxon:

halimah@maxon.net

Nonproductive
02-26-2003, 09:57 PM
I just sent her off a message after speaking with her. Apparently she only has 4 or 5 orders as of this moment :(

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.