PDA

View Full Version : Making curbstones

ivobakker
11-22-2006, 10:19 PM
A lot of times I have to make these curbstones in my scenes. Now we take a curve and a profile and extrude it.
The problem is to get the texture on it in a nice and easy way. I have a texture of exactely 1 meter. I texure it now with the UV texture editor. But each time it is a lot of work.

So I was wondering if it is possible to extrude the profile along the path and get a geometry on wich the UV's are set each meter along the path ? Then I only have to apply the texture.
Or set the UV's after the extrude on each meter.

Another option is to subdivide the extrude in polygon of 1 meter, and apply the texture. But then the curves don't look nice. And then I have to much polygons in the linear parts.

Anybody a solution ? tnx!

http://www.ivovi.nl/temp/curbstone.jpg

asche
11-22-2006, 11:52 PM
why dont you measure the length of the curve you used to extrude and set the texture tiling to that value (depending on scene units) ?

ivobakker
11-23-2006, 12:16 PM
Thank you.
It is a good way to do it. Disadvantage is that I have to make a new material for each extrude. I hope to find a way to do it for all extrudes
at once.

ivobakker
11-27-2006, 01:52 PM
It worked out quit well with measuring the lines. But with 10 lines I have to make 10 different materials.
Anybody else any suggestions?

Subscream
11-28-2006, 07:44 AM
You can use the double switch node in Maya. Then you can use the same
shader for multiple object even though they've different UV-parameters.

ivobakker
01-02-2007, 09:10 PM
thank that helps

CGTalk Moderation
01-02-2007, 09:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.