PDA

View Full Version : lightning

DaRt
02-11-2003, 04:07 PM
anyone know a good way to make lightning? I cant find a good tutorial, help please :-(

frog
02-11-2003, 06:20 PM
Well, it can't be that hard?

Get some ref from Google, copy the lightning shape carefully with the pen tool making sure your shape looks suitably chaotic and random, fill it with white and then add (or even paint) a glow and that should do it.

:)

JackaL(px)
02-11-2003, 08:57 PM
Filter > render > clouds
filter > render > difference clouds
invert
adjust levels so that you get a lightning sort of shape
add colour

There are a few tutorials around... i posted a while ago with some sites, one of which has 700+ tutorials, perhaps you missed it :bounce:

raine
02-20-2003, 03:42 AM
yeah, like JackaL(px) said but first use the gradient tool .. here ill make you a little tutorial heh
Create a new image .. say 7x5 @ 200DPi
select the gradient tool, change it to reflected gradient. Make sure its set as a white to black or black to white gradient
and draw a vertical line about 1/2inch (ctrl+R to show rulers)
now you should have a black line going horizontaly across your image. ..or a white line depending on how you set your tool, if you have a white line with a black background after this step you do not need to do the next step of inverting (Ctrl+I) your image.(you can also have it angled, it doesnt matter its preference for how you want it but for this tutorial i did it down the center.
Press Ctrl + I to invert your image. You should now have a white line going down the center of your image.
Next go to Filter Render Difference Clouds,. .. do not do the step that JackaL(px) mentioned about doing a regular clouds render because this will disregard all the work you just did so make sure you do Filter\Render\RenderCouds
Now you should have 2 white lined going down the center of your screen that are somewhat starting to take shape as lighting... the next step should do it.
Next, or go to Image\Adjustments\Levels .. or just press Ctrl+L. That will bring up the levels window.. enter these settings.
I liked
input levels to; 45, .33, 255 .... after you get a setting you like or after your put in my setting press ok.
now you should have some fairly nice looking lighting and you get it with great ease!! but i know what your thinking .. color? ...

go to Image\Adjustments\Hue-Saturation or just Press Ctrl+U then check the little box in the bottom right that says colorize.. now it should go a red color .. but that doesnt matter... use the Hue, Saturation and lightness sliders to get a color and brightness you like. change the hue for the color and the saturation for the ..... err saturation or colorfully-ness-age. :)
hope this hellped you and hopefully this isnt a way old post and you have already figured this out weeks ago :) any more questions let me know :) good luck

Nobi
02-20-2003, 06:27 AM
use this pluging

http://www.autofx.com/mystical_lighting/mystical_lighting.html

is the easy way!!!:bounce:

singularity2006
02-20-2003, 06:35 AM
awww dude those filters look MAD coool..... but i think it would be an insult to the design field to use a filter that does so much. =(

but awww... soo tempted to get that plugin... but awww, no money. =( just spent it buying myself a 52x48x52 Sony CDRW. >.<

Troub
02-20-2003, 06:58 AM
No Warez here!!!...:wip:
If i were you i would edit my post.
think before posting

Nobi
02-20-2003, 07:06 AM
What!But what does this filters produce for!

If it cann't use for the artist or use it is insult!Why does it produce?
Those like the 3Dmax's pluging,many people use it,,but no one say's "insult",,,Why??

singularity2006
02-20-2003, 07:12 AM
please refer to this thread about filters:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40160

have fun. ^.^

but yeah, we talked extensively about when and why filters should be used and when they shouldn't be used. :wip:

raine
02-20-2003, 01:35 PM
Troub, who mentioned warez? you? ... maybe read before posting? :wip:

singularity2006
02-20-2003, 05:22 PM
who? I said nothing about warez. I said I would BUY that plugin if i had the money but i just spent it buying myself a new CD burner. :shrug:

Troub
02-20-2003, 07:03 PM
@ raine:
Nobi knows what i'm talking about...believe me! The post is already edited
It wasn't you.
Maybe take a breathe before posting, hehehe...:beer:
I'm sure he ment it the best way but should have wrote it in pm :thumbsup:

DaRt
05-08-2003, 08:58 PM
raine i never said thanks for telling me how to make that

THANKS! hehe i just remebered bout cgtalk

raine
05-08-2003, 10:53 PM
hehe no problem... i hope it helped you out.
Dont forget CGTALK .. it rules

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.