PDA

View Full Version : Renderlayers with different Renderer (MR, Vector)

MS80
11-22-2006, 02:18 PM
Is it possible to assign different Renderer (MR,Maya-Vector,Maya-Software,Maya-Hardware) to the Renderlayers. If i use batch-rendering the render-globals of the masterlayer are used, but what i want to do is to render one layer with MentalRay and another with Maya-Vector !
Every Render-Layer has its own Render-Settings and Overwrites, but if i change the renderer all Layers will be rendererd with this renderer, no specific Renderer-choice is possible !
I need a solution so that i can press batch and all layers are renderd with the correct renderer !

Is this possible, if not perhaps there is a workaround ! Hope you can help, THX !!!

T-R
11-22-2006, 04:03 PM
Sure its possible.
1.Go to the layer you wish to use a different renderer.
2.Open render settings.
3.Right click beside the renderer drop down and choose create layer override.
4.Switch renderers

MS80
11-23-2006, 10:23 AM
Thanks a lot T_R ! :thumbsup:

Dont found the region for the right-click !

theB34N
02-15-2007, 08:42 PM
Hi,

Thanks for answering this, but I'm having a bit of a problem with this solution. If I have a render layer that uses mentalRay (like an occlusion preset) and another layer that uses the native Maya renderer (like a depth pass), and if I set the master layer render settings to Maya Renderer, it won't switch to MR when it gets to the occlusion layer. There is an attribute override in the occlusion layer telling it to switch to mentalRay, but it doesn't. So, as a work-around, I switch the "render using" in the master layer to MentalRay,and it then works - it will switch to the Maya Renderer (obeying the override I put in) to render the depth pass (I think it does anyway, unless it just does it with MR...). Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone had any insight into this problem, despite the fact that the workaround seems to work.

Just to give another example in the same vein, if on some layers I want just one frame to render (like the background), while on others I want a sequence to render (say a hundred frames for the hero character) I try to set an override on the "end frame" attribute in the render settings for each layer (well each layer that is different than the master layer). This works in some cases, but not others. If the situation is this:

Master layer: start - end frames = 0 - 100
Background layer: start - end frames = 0 - 0 (attribute override)
Hero layer: start - end frames = 0 - 100 (no attribute override)

Then the attribute override on the background layer is ignored and I get 100 frames for it, too.

If, however, the situation is reversed and I set the master layer to start - end = 0 - 0, and override the hero layer to get 100 frames, it works!

Again, a working work-around....but why!

Thanks for reading and thanks for any help!

Marc

yenvalmar
02-17-2007, 10:46 AM
what about when you batch render? for example if i launch my batch render with r -mr for mental ray, it renders all the passes in mental ray no matter what :(

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2007, 10:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.