PDA

View Full Version : Gnomon DVD Question

srproductions
11-22-2006, 12:29 AM
Hey All!

I am very new to matte painting and I am considering purchasing Matte Painting Production Techniques from The Gnomon Workshop. Now here are my questions to people who have done the DVD:

Do you work at a high enough resoulution to render the final scene in 1080i HD?

What all applications do you need to complete the tutorial?

Do you have to have good modelling skills? I am NOT a modeller what so ever, and if they require you to model something, do they also include the final model for people like me who are HORIBLE at modelling?

Is it the kind of training where they tell you EXACTLY how to do it, or the kind where you kind of just follow along trying to do something like what he's showing you?

Thanks in advance for your help!

srproductions
11-22-2006, 01:33 PM
BUMP

I really would like to know these things before I buy it.

Matellis
11-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Hey Mark

I havent made any dvds but I do know that they usually include the working files so you can pretty much copy what they are doing. But what I like to do is just watch them and have pen and paper , so i can write down just how they use the tools and what kind of effect each can give me. I like doing it that way because i find for myself it helps to be creative with the tools they are using.

Also if you are planning on getting into matte painting you will want to be practicing your painting skills , photography and even 3d modeling. Those skills are very important i think more than ever now with HD and more companies are doing matte paintings that have some 3d movement. It really wouldnt hurt to even learn basic 3d modeling. I know it helps me out when trying to get a good perspective, composition and concepts.

Cheers

srproductions
11-22-2006, 06:18 PM
OK. But.......

Like if they use Vue to create vegetation - for instance - I would have to have Vue. I know it doesn't really matter whether they use Combustion or After Effects - for instance - because I can just apply whatever principles they teach to my program. I just need to know if they use anything besides 3DS Max, Photoshop, or Shake.

srproductions
11-22-2006, 09:19 PM
I KNOW someone on CG Talk has these DVDs and can give me the answers!

Please - SOMEONE - tell me if the tutorial (Matte Painting Production Techniques) uses any other applications BESIDES 3DS Max, Photoshop, and Shake. AND, if the tutorials on Set Extensions & Lighting Effects are working in a high enough resolution to render out the final scene in 1080i HD.

Kutkin
11-23-2006, 04:43 AM
Chris uses Vue for the foreground plants.
cheers

everlite
11-23-2006, 08:38 PM
I'd recommend anyone with a remote interest in matte painting buys the Chris Stoski DVD's recently released from gnomon. Chris goes though all the basics and covers many of the really important techniques used by Chris in the production work he does.

What i like about these DVD's is that Chris goes through a typical real world working project.

Throughout the DVDs Chris uses the following:

Photoshop
3ds Max
Vue - optional
Shake - could use any comp program, after effects etc ...
(think that's about it)

Chris usually works at double the frame size in the DVDs, usually 2 - 4000 pixels. Used for getting right on the detail.

It has to be said that the 3d work is really basic, nothing fancy, if you can create a simple cube and sphere then you know enough to follow these tutorials, after all tutorials are about learning new things :thumbsup:

I have to agree with the previous poster, matte painting is making more and more use of 3d skills, though it has to be said, luckily you can get away with knowing the basics, just for creating simple geometry etc..

Cheers - Dave.

CGTalk Moderation
11-23-2006, 08:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.