PDA

View Full Version : Next Challenge Ideas

JJASSO
11-21-2006, 10:46 PM
hey guys well it's been a while since our last mattepainting challenge, lots of high quality images there, now I think it's time to do it again

so what will we choose? what theme? suggestions here till we all agree , the next cgallenge will be online soon .
I was thinking about a futuristic city, how do you picture it? in a realistci way, how will the skyscrapers be?
I'm thinking about a warm sunset or sunrise, a dramatic shot of a sci fi city that maybe will exist soon or maybe a night shot , mmmh there are a lot of possibilities
share your thoughts here

Kutkin
11-22-2006, 12:51 PM
Hi Jamie.
I'm glad to hear that new chalenge is on the way.
I think cityscapes would be nice. But I think it needs some deeper theme and not just Cityscape challenge. But I don't know what theme.
I hope you guys will come up with something.

cheers

Matellis
11-22-2006, 05:30 PM
Sounds like a great idea to me! I have a couple ideas in mind for this one if you decide to stick with the futuristic city. It would be a good break for me to do a project again.

I will be waiting for the new thread!

Cheers

Artbot
11-22-2006, 10:54 PM
I went to look for the thread from a couple months ago where ideas for the next challenge were discussed - it doesn't seem to exist anymore. What happened to all the old posts in this (matte painting) forum? I show only 2 pages of posts (total) in here. There were lots of good ideas in that thread: wonders of the world, working from same photos, etc.

Personally I liked the idea of doing a "future wonder of the world". A structure or natural formation that has yet to exist. It could be manmade or something that's formed as the result of climate change or natural disasters.

JJASSO
11-23-2006, 06:58 PM
Arbot I had the same question as you what happened with 2 pages of threads inside this forum?? to be honest I have no idea , this must be matters of administration I don't know , I actually think futiristic wonders of the world will be the theme

everlite
11-23-2006, 07:44 PM
Howdy. :thumbsup:

Here's a few thoughts ...

~ James bond - villains lair/facility (every Bond film has one :-)

~ After the battle

~ Superheroes lair

~ cataclysmic event

~ Alien interior

Actually looking up the list i think the James Bond idea is the best. It's a classic! In every single James bond film you get the unique matte painting of the villains cool and terrifying facility, and with the recent film ... yep that's my favorite.:bounce:

Yeah the two page thing is a real pain, i came up with a few ideas in the old post but now it's no more :sad:

mmmm, personally i'm not too keen on the futuristic city idea, too clean, i like to get dirty :-) It's all a little too, 'done before' feeling Let's give it some thought and i hope in the end it's a majority choice that decides the theme.

I'm not quite sure how this could be tied in but i think Camera projection would be good to push people, maybe have two catigories.

I really enjoyed the last one, prior to seeing the Atlantis contest i didn't even know what a matte painting was but since then i've taken a commited interest in the subject and feel quite proud of my work so far, so i think the contest is quite important and should be well thought out, accessable to the beginner and provide a good challenge to everyone. Can't wait to hear further suggestions.

Cheers - Dave.

Kutkin
11-23-2006, 08:21 PM
I think it might be nice to stick to legend fantasy theme. The last time it was Atlantis... What about Camelot - king Arthurs city and castle?
-
Nice ideas everlite!

cheers

thyn
11-24-2006, 07:59 AM
Futuristic wonders of the world ...
That sounds just great !!!
When do we start, when do we start ? :) :) :)

Oh... I have only one question - Can we use 3D for the matte paintings ( i mean objects created with 3D software) or it wiil be just "photoshop" contest ?

JJASSO
11-24-2006, 05:47 PM
futuristic wonders of the world I think is winning by now, I don't agree with doing again ruins or fantasy let's change it for a sci fi, it will start soon next week I think but if you do some research for the future skyscrapers that are being build now you would be amazed guys, saudi arabia and china have the most amazing projects now , and some of them looks like they were taken from star wars' coruscant I think this will be a really interesting project

everlite
11-24-2006, 06:58 PM
I'll pull myself crying and kicking into this one :) i think there should be a poll or something with three radically different ideas and let the majority rule. Let a few more suggestions come through before commiting to just one.

Santas home/grotto, could be a festive challenge:thumbsup:

Will there be any celeb judges and cool pressies for the winner?

- Dave.

Velarion
11-24-2006, 10:19 PM
well I liked the idea about futuristic wonders of the world.We can think lots of lots of designs about it.:thumbsup:

everlite
11-25-2006, 01:01 AM
futuristic wonders of the world, count me in. (i'm still kicking, though i've stopped crying now :-)

So what does this mean? is this like one focal structure?

Hey what are the seven wonders of the world?

1- Leaning tower of Pizza

2- Taj Mahal

3- Niagara falls

4- Stone henge

5- Mount rushmore

6- Great wall of China

So what's the seventh?

Be good to see lots of original ideas away from the star-wars themed structures.

futuristic wonders of the world it is then, for me:thumbsup:

Velarion
11-26-2006, 10:44 AM
well I always like Hagia Sophia in Istanbul.Looks like a Jedi temple:)

Inlakechh
11-26-2006, 02:52 PM
Futuristic wonders of the world sound great.
Hope I'm gonna find the time cause I have exams soon.

But count me in ;).

Artbot
11-26-2006, 10:32 PM
I hope I have time to enter, too! I'm crunching at work til xmas and moving into our new house this week. We'll see. I'd really love to, though - the ideas are just swirling around my head. I hope people think outside of man-made objects, like buildings and floating cities and such.

Imagine the crater left from a huge asteroid impact, like the size of Texas, maybe with cities built up around the rim or maybe it's been turned into a site of worship to commemorate the millions of people who died in the impact.

There's a lot of room here for some really cool ideas. I can't wait to see what people come up with.

Velarion
11-27-2006, 10:45 PM
so..any update Jaime? any info about the judges etc.?

JJASSO
11-28-2006, 12:06 AM
well thinkin about these christmas eve and that it's a time where all people are busy I think this challenge will begin in early january, I don't think I can get prices or celebrity judges , but anyway ideas are welcome so far futuristic wonders of the world is winning , a poll is not necessary , that why I did this thread for. se everyone can explain perfectly what they want

anyway to do it as big as the last one uit's better for all of us to start next january

but wh can do something , like a quick challenge maybe just sketching or as far as you guys can go, with Everlite's idea about santas or any kind of festive theme
if you guys agree I will make the thread

Matellis
11-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Im up for anything!

I was thinking that it would be interesting to have to make a matte from someones elses concept , maybe Jaimes you could draw up a concept or everyone submits one to you to pick from.Then the matte that best illustrates the concept wins. It might help people like me and others to get into work environment mode where concepts are given to you and you have to work from there. Just an idea thou.

Cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
11-28-2006, 04:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.