PDA

View Full Version : PolyBoost Support

IGhosTDoGI
11-21-2006, 08:36 PM
cause there is no internal support forum, i would like to open a poly boost support thread.
maybe the thread could be sticked?

i got a retopo problem with max 9. the new created polys snap beneath the target mesh, so i can't hardly see my retopo mesh.

any advice?

thx

Rivendale
11-24-2006, 01:50 PM
Hey IGhosTDoGI, it could be a good idea to have a thread where PolyBoost users can exchange ideas. Support is also always available at admin@polyboost.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/admin@polyboost.com)

In your situation it is a good idea to make the mesh used to draw on see-through (Alt-x). It can also be good to have edged faces turned on on the selection only.

cheers,
CML

Zbuffer
11-27-2006, 02:31 PM
Hi

I noticed a strange issue with PolyBoost v2.5 (demo mode) on both Max8 and Max 9 (XP32).

once installed, the .DDS file Format is broken !
-> no .DDS file type in open bitmap dialog
-> choosing *.* gives an error upon choosing a DDS file (unknown format).

Rivendale
11-28-2006, 10:49 PM
Hi Zbuffer, I am aware of that issue. PolyBoost will soon be updated with a fix for that but in the meantime you can download a fix here:

http://hem.bredband.net/polyboost2/PolyBoost_DDSfix.zip

cheers,
CML

Zbuffer
11-29-2006, 06:06 AM
Thx for the quick reply and fix :)
Cheers, and bravo for this fine tool !!!

TheGonzaga
11-29-2006, 08:30 AM
I'll throw in two questions concerning PolyBoost here ...

*) Why isn't PolyDraw working correctly when you have a "TurboSmooth" or "Symmetry" modifier in the stack?

*) Will there be a support for the undo keyboard shortcut?

Greetings ... Andreas.

IGhosTDoGI
11-29-2006, 10:25 AM
thx for your reply. it works now. :)

*) Why isn't PolyDraw working correctly when you have a "TurboSmooth" or "Symmetry" modifier in the stack?

got the same problem with turbo smooth. especially with move mode. the vertices don't snap correctly on the surface or sometimes they snap beneath the surface or snap somewhere outta space.

another question: how is the license locked? can i reinstall my os or can i transfer/switch my license to complete new system, if i want to buy a new pc?

greetz

Zbuffer
11-30-2006, 09:15 PM
Hi Rivendale,

The DDS fix indeed fixes the DDS isue, but now polydraw does not work:
-- "Unknow property: "Polydrawfunc" in undefined

Manually running the PB_PolyDraw.mse script fixes the issue.

Rivendale
12-01-2006, 09:23 PM
Hey,

TheGonzaga/IGhosTDoGI - PolyDraw always works on the baseobject of the model so any modifiers added above that is added on top of the changes you make in PolyDraw. The tools can only snap to the geometry in the base so if you have turbosmooth visible on top you have to take that into account.

TheGonzaga - In PolyDraw undo is only available from the main toolbar of 3ds max. Autodesk would need to change the way certain functions behave for that to be possible.
For the license you can use the "Portable license utility" to transfer the license of 3ds max. The same serialnumber will then work for PolyBoost. Contact support if you have any license issues.

Zbuffer - I have updated the zipfile now, it should work properly now.

cheers,
CML

Rivendale
12-06-2006, 09:44 PM
Why isn't PolyDraw working correctly when you have a "TurboSmooth" or "Symmetry" modifier in the stack?

There seems to be some issues about this that need sorting out. I will fix it for the next update.

CML

simonenastasi
04-13-2007, 01:50 PM
Hi,
is it possible to make a ring selection from edge-to edge? I can do it with stepmode only in loop, but ring? Maybe even mixed? like if you select two distant edges in "ring a" and other two in "ring b", then press "ring" and it selects the partial edgerings?

simonenastasi
04-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Seems that paintconnect won't work like "paint" (max9sp1, extension pack installed). It works clicking every single edge.

IGhosTDoGI
05-05-2007, 05:39 PM
hi,

i have just installed max 9 extension 1 and now polyboost 3 doesn't work/load anymore. i get tons of script errors. hope there will be a fix soon, cause afaik you can't deinstall the extension anymore.

thx

IGhosTDoGI
05-06-2007, 03:33 PM
that's been taken care of now. i had to reinstall polyboost after the extensions again. thx. :)

Gantra
05-18-2007, 04:11 AM
I'm not having much luck with the PolyBoost 3.0 Loop Tools -> Curve Tool using Max 9 SP2. Anyone else having trouble? I created a cylinder and picked a vertex, pulled it out a ways like in the demo movie and hit curve and nothing happens. I tried some of the other tricks in the video. I can't get curve to work no matter what, which has got me bummed. It's one of the coolest features.

Thanks!

Haeberle
05-18-2007, 12:48 PM
Yup Gantra, I second that. Probably this is caused by some updates (sp1, prod.boosterpack rev3) ? Thought I've tested this function succesfully when pb3 came out, but now it's not working anymore. (with this exception pb works very well)

I've sent an email to Carl-Mikael-Lagnecrantz, hope he can figure out what's happening here.

Chris

Rivendale
05-18-2007, 03:38 PM
Hey people, if a similar issue to what you are describing occurs then you should reinstall PolyBoost. That seems to have fixed the issue in other cases. I believe the issue could be with installing the productivity booster but I will look into it.

cheers,
CML

Rivendale
05-18-2007, 03:41 PM
Also Gantra, you should make sure that you have an edgeloop selected, just pulling out a vertex will not do anything unless the vertex is on a set of selected edges.

CML

Gantra
05-18-2007, 04:31 PM
Carl-Mikael helped me resolve my issues after looking at my max file.

I failed to collapse the mesh into an editable poly. Instead, i was using the Edit Poly modifier on top of a primitive, which doesn't work with Loop tools.

Curve, flowconnect, all of the Loop controls appear to work great for me now.

Thanks to everyone for the assistance.

4 low
06-22-2007, 07:22 PM
I'm not having much luck with the PolyBoost 3.0 Loop Tools -> Curve Tool using Max 9 SP2. Anyone else having trouble? I created a cylinder and picked a vertex, pulled it out a ways like in the demo movie and hit curve and nothing happens. I tried some of the other tricks in the video. I can't get curve to work no matter what, which has got me bummed. It's one of the coolest features.

Thanks!

We've had that problem at work too, using max 9 32-bit with SP2 installed.

Hey people, if a similar issue to what you are describing occurs then you should reinstall PolyBoost. That seems to have fixed the issue in other cases. I believe the issue could be with installing the productivity booster but I will look into it.

cheers,
CML

will definitely give that a try. Thanks.

BigPixolin
06-22-2007, 08:16 PM
I just wanted to chime in on the demo version time limit or lack thereof.

I'm really interested in poly boost.
I have d/l'd the demo and installed it.
But really had no time at all trying it out due to the 20 sessions feature.
Max really isn't 100% stable.
Due to a really intense file and other work related issues I only had about 2-3 days with it installed. I only got maybe 20 minutes with poly boost.
I would suggest using a time limit feature. As of right now I can see the features look good on paper but I have no intention on buying now, only becuase I don't know if I can use it or not.

Thanks

dnashj33
06-25-2007, 06:53 AM
I just wanted to chime in on the demo version time limit or lack thereof.

I'm really interested in poly boost.
I have d/l'd the demo and installed it.
But really had no time at all trying it out due to the 20 sessions feature.
Max really isn't 100% stable.
Due to a really intense file and other work related issues I only had about 2-3 days with it installed. I only got maybe 20 minutes with poly boost.
I would suggest using a time limit feature. As of right now I can see the features look good on paper but I have no intention on buying now, only becuase I don't know if I can use it or not.

ThanksI actually like it better than a 15 or 30 day trial because I may see little use with it in that time frame, and since you have to run the script each time you want to use it, you can stretch those twenty sessions as long as you need. Don't run the script unless you KNOW you are going to use it.
I'll just say this...if you do a good deal of modeling or UV work in Max, you would be hamstringing yourself by deciding NOT to buy a copy.
It pays for itself at 3 times the price (or more), and takes Max from being a pretty good poly modeler to arguably the BEST modeler available...and there is some stiff competition in that market.

BigPixolin
06-26-2007, 02:22 PM
I actually like it better than a 15 or 30 day trial because I may see little use with it in that time frame, and since you have to run the script each time you want to use it, you can stretch those twenty sessions as long as you need. Don't run the script unless you KNOW you are going to use it.
I'll just say this...if you do a good deal of modeling or UV work in Max, you would be hamstringing yourself by deciding NOT to buy a copy.
It pays for itself at 3 times the price (or more), and takes Max from being a pretty good poly modeler to arguably the BEST modeler available...and there is some stiff competition in that market.

I don't know how I installed it differntly but it ran the script on each max start-up.
I agree that that way is the best since you can stretch it out I was not aware of this.

Polyboost making max the best poly modeler is not the first time I have heard this. I may just have to make a leap of faith and get it. It really is a decent price.

4 low
06-27-2007, 10:43 PM

cheers,
CML

I still cannot get the curve function to work.

After installing the Productivity Booster, Polyboost did not work at all. After re-installing, polyboost works just fine, with the one exception that the Curve function still does not work as shown in the videos.

Previously, when I had tried to get the Curve to work, the Productivity Booster was not installed, and it did not work then. Now with the Productivity Booster, and after re-installing Polyboost, Curve still does not work.

Any suggestions or options I should try? Thanks.

Massemannen
07-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Hi all!

Im trying too learn how to master PB by watching the videos on Polyboost .com.

When Im using Connect with the SetFlow option i get this result instead of a complete connect like in the video... Anyone have a clue?

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6656/pbconnectjv3.th.png (http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pbconnectjv3.png)

rybeck
08-04-2007, 06:24 AM
Hi all!

When Im using Connect with the SetFlow option i get this result instead of a complete connect like in the video... Anyone have a clue?

Try holding "Shift" from beginning, in order to maintain center until very last segment, then switch to "Ctrl" that makes connectin between verteces. If you were not meant to connect absolute circle, just skip the 1st step, holding "Shift." That'll do it.

I am in same boat (migrated from Maya), and it is really amazing piece of S/W...

JK

Noren
08-08-2007, 09:35 PM
Hi Rivendale,

first of all let me thank you for that awesome piece of software. :thumbsup:

I'd like to make a request. I'm aware however that this is probably important for very few people, perhaps just me.
I'm not a big fan of having to hold down keys for an extended period of time while modeling.
Especially pressing down crtl, shift and alt at the same time when moving around points starts to hurt after a while. I know it is part of the concept and even neccessary for some operations, but would it be possible perhaps to introduce one click solutions where possible?
For example you press ctrl, shift alt once and are in move-mode then. Or you have an extra shortcut which enables that one click mode. Kind of like the windows thing for disabled people. :D
I didn't think that through and there are probably some good points against it and working with Polyboost makes modeling a lot more easy and fun in any case. It's just that the pain takes a lot of that fun away again. :(

Perhaps someone else has the same problems? I'd be interested to know if more people can relate to that or if it is just me. My tendons got damaged a bit some years ago but since then I usually don't have problems with working on the computer.

IGhosTDoGI
12-02-2007, 01:13 PM
hi,

does polyboost 3 run with max 2008 (64bit). if not, when will be the new release date?

thx

xDarkvisionx
12-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Polyboost demo isn't installing for me, I run the setup script, and when I click the "install" button NOTHING happens! I'm going to try to reinstall 3ds max 9 but I doubt that'll do anything? What could be causing this?

rybeck
12-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Before you re-install max, double check files are all located in right place as intruction stated...
"...unzip the PolyBoost_v3.zip and place the "PolyBoost" folder in your
Scripts directory of 3ds max: 3dsmax/Scripts/. Once it is in place start 3ds max and run
"PolyBoost_Setup.mse" from Maxscript/Run script...in the menu. This file is located in the
PolyBoost folder. ..."

Also check "System path" (Customize > Configure System Path )are pointed into right folder.

JK

anewhobby
03-15-2008, 02:42 AM
How exactly do you use the pollyboost 4 texture tools? I am trying to use the cavity , density etc etc map creation options but when i click the button nothing happens?

Any help would be cool

Thanks

kaizokuace
04-20-2008, 01:34 PM
I've a question, I am trying to move some verts using either the move tool or even in border tool and the verts just won't move at all. I am using PB 4.1 and max 2008 64bit in vista.
Also when I use the border tool with shift+drag it doesn't always pull the new poly from the correct side of the poly you are pulling from.

Yanlec
05-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Hey guys, i just switched to max 2008 with polyboost 4 and the connect tool aint working for me, I hold ctrl and it just doesn't connect vertices, even shift does not go in the middle of edges, anyone having this problem?

Edit: It's like if polyboost is aiming way down of my mouse cursor, if it try to connect middle of edges holding shift, i have to aim higher than the edge and then it will work, it makes it very difficult to be acccurate, I am pretty sure this is a bug.

mesca
05-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Hey guys, i just switched to max 2008 with polyboost 4 and the connect tool aint working for me, I hold ctrl and it just doesn't connect vertices, even shift does not go in the middle of edges, anyone having this problem?

Edit: It's like if polyboost is aiming way down of my mouse cursor, if it try to connect middle of edges holding shift, i have to aim higher than the edge and then it will work, it makes it very difficult to be acccurate, I am pretty sure this is a bug.

I have the same problem. In a machine is working properly, in another no.

mesca
05-24-2008, 04:14 PM
I solved the problem.
you must unistalling and delete "PBPolyBoost.dlx" in plugins folder.
Then reinstalling.

bye

Yanlec
05-24-2008, 11:57 PM
Im gonna give it a try as soon as i can, thx my friend.

Kanga
08-28-2008, 09:55 AM

Exactly the same,.. PB 4.1 xp pro sp2, max 2008 32bit.
Creating verts with polydraw does work, also drag shift to make a poly. Some things are working some arnt. Move verts shows mymouse and wacom points are way out,... exactly, low.

Reinstall and deleting the plug doesnt work for me.

Chris

Yanlec
08-28-2008, 11:23 PM
mesca's trick did work for me. I think i didnt even had to reinstall, not sure, been a while. working like a charm now! thx mesca

Kanga
08-29-2008, 02:19 AM
did it again, still not working,....mmmm
Yes it did,... thanx chaps:)

RagingBull
11-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Would be fantastic to see a new vid that includes all the short cuts you are using as you work (Im sure one of the screen capture products can do that automatically for you), as its hard to follow along without the audio.

Looks like a fantastic addon for max !

nedgin
11-12-2008, 07:08 AM
Hi, all

I am using max 9 with polyboost demo verson,

I am trying to work with the symmetry Tool, andd i just cant get it to work,

i mean it works with the sphere(edit poly) fine, but when i am working with modeling i made,

it doesn't work,

I am guessing it's something wrong with my model,

but i don't know what it is

is there something i have to be aware of when you are making model??

please help me out i really need it :)

RuadhriBrennan
04-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Im new enough to max and i thought i might download the trial version of polyboost to help me with retopo work. There is very little documentation on it so ive been watching the videos on the polyboost website. It seems straight forward enough but i still dont get it completely. When I polydraw draw a grid with polytopo onto the surface of my obj model, as in the Polyboost2_video, I right click it to view the polygons that i created, but they show up as a single big shape with a white outline rather than a bunch of white quads like in the video. Can anyone help?

musashidan
04-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Polydraw isn't the most accurate of tools.It's only really used as a starting point.You have to make sure the grid lines you draw cross over for Max to understand your intention.You might get 5 or 6 quads out of it to begin with and then pull out the 'oul border tool and flesh the geometry out.The border tool is superb.

Plus,if you're upgrading to Max10 then PB is now part of the App in the form of the Graphite toolset.

Zombiecharro
04-26-2009, 06:08 PM
i have this trouble with poly draw it seams tht the area of effect of lets say connect is below the cursor, i see the cross but it selects vertex tow grid units below i have polyboost4.1 on max 9 on direct3d any idea whats happening? thanks

stenionet
05-14-2009, 01:00 PM
"i have this trouble with poly draw it seams tht the area of effect of lets say connect is below the cursor, i see the cross but it selects vertex tow grid units below i have polyboost4.1 on max 9 on direct3d any idea whats happening?"

I am having problem too. It is hard to use the SwiftLoop and PolyBranch. I need to click several times to make the SwiftLoop to work and the PolyBranch always select the poly below the mouse cursor.

The problem just occur with max 9 (I update to sp2, but the problem continues).
In max 2009 everything is working fine.

stenionet
05-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Sorry. i posted two times the same thing.
I do not know how to delete this post.

icekiller
06-06-2009, 12:57 PM
small kick :blush:

hey guys, im trying to get my Polyboost instald on Vista home premium X86, now im getting in max the error that i need to run 3dsmax.exe as admin but i do that (also treid to set it to windows XPsp2. but i am still getting this error, has any 1 this experiance ?

icekiller
06-08-2009, 07:34 PM
bump:bounce:

dnashj33
06-08-2009, 09:52 PM
bump:bounce:
right click on the install file and select "Run As Administrator"...if that doesn't help, you may try to disable U.A.C (google search how to do that), restart the PC and try again

icekiller
06-09-2009, 05:24 PM
right click on the install file and select "Run As Administrator"...if that doesn't help, you may try to disable U.A.C (google search how to do that), restart the PC and try again

i have that 1 off by default ;) (first thing i do after a Vista instaltion), thanks for the advie thoug, ive also e-mail Polyboost support saterday still no reply :(

fixd:

ive send ta PM to our site member polygun who had the same isseu, here is the fix:

Move these files manually to these locations from the
3dsmax\Scripts\PolyBoost\Files folder:

3dsmax\Plugins\PBPolyBoost.dlx (or PBPolyBoost64.dlx for 64 bit max)
3dsmax\Scripts\Startup\PB_Startup.mse
3dsmax\stdplugs\stdscripts\PB_Startup_load.mse

Then restart 3ds max and run the setup once again

CGTalk Moderation
06-09-2009, 05:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.