PDA

View Full Version : Question about technique for "fly over"

mixermanic
11-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Hi everyone,

I am a complete philistine when it comes to matte painting, so feel free to treat me like an idiot (within reason of course... :wip: ).

Firstly, imagine a shot of a narrow forest path with huge steep rock walls each side. To achieve a "walk through" effect, would you do the matte painting at a huge resolution and then "zoom" in on the painting to achieve this effect?

Now, what about a flyover effect? As in an eagle soaring over a landscape? Could you do that in the same way, or would that be a 2.5D type setup?

Thanks,

Martin

Kutkin
11-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Camera mapping is ideal for this kind of thing.
Check this out:
http://www.3dfluff.com/cameramapping/pics/stillframe.jpg (http://www.3dfluff.com/cameramapping/cameramappingtut.htm)
Camera mapping with Cinema 4D by Janine Pauke.

everlite
11-23-2006, 09:17 PM
There's no such thing as a dumb question, we all start in the same place, with a simple spark of interest, that's all it takes.

I think it depends on the extent of the motion the first one would make good use of Camera mapping as suggested, i'd probably use a 3d environment for the eagle flight, give it some nice flight paths etc..

Give it a go, be good to see some work in progress.

- Dave :thumbsup:

mixermanic
11-24-2006, 12:59 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. Very useful.

Dave - the eagle flight was kind of metaphorical. The camera will give an "eagle eye" view of the landscape, eventually zooming down on the action (which will obviously be modelled fully).

I do like the idea of the camera following flight paths though.... and having thought about it for a bit, I may actually put an eagle in it!

Cheers :thumbsup:

Martin

mixermanic
11-25-2006, 02:52 PM
I've been reading a few tutorials and features about matte painting.

One question that arose was:
Would one technique for matte painting to be to model a simple shape (assume a tower block, so a simple rectangle with a few additional bits of geometry is created), then rendered as a wireframe, then the resultant rendered image is painted over in photoshop.

This painting is then projected back onto the building.

This, in theory, should allow a certain amount of 3D movement.

Am I right?

Thanks!

Martin

everlite
11-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Yeah it depends on what your final result will be, what your talking about is Camera projection techniques.

Though rendering in wireframe isn't required, you can just texture map the scene, render and take into photoshop, touch up add details etc then project back onto your geometry.

There's a few good tutorials kicking around the web, also the Chris Stoski DVDs just released cover this quite well, mostly in the first DVD.

What 3d program are you using?

mixermanic
11-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Yes, camera projection is what I meant.

I'm using Maya, and Photoshop for texturing.

Matte painting is something I'm new to, but as I know photoshop, I'll be using that for painting too.

I guess I have in some ways been "matte painting" backgrounds unwittingly for a while - I normally use Vue 5 Infinite and then touch it up and add bits and pieces in photoshop.

M

everlite
11-25-2006, 04:08 PM
Vue is a very good tool that i'd recommend, it's come very far in the last few years.

As for Maya i'm not quite sure how cam projection works technically but i'm sure the theory is the same as max and cinema, the tutorial for cinema above is probably one of the best examples out there. You basically project your images from one camera then use a second camera to animate with. It's tricky to grasp but simple when you understand.

CGTalk Moderation
11-25-2006, 04:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.