PDA

View Full Version : Sterioscopic Goggles?

Gilgamesh
03-22-2002, 11:08 AM
Hey I was wondering if anyone here has tried out the sterioscopic goggles that ship with certain GeForce3's (and 4's?). I was just curious about how well they work for games and things, but more interestingly, if there is some way to incorporate them into one of these 3D apps. I don't know if it is possible, but wouldn't it be sweet if you could see the dimentions of the model you were working on without having to rotate around it? What do you fellas think?

efishta
03-22-2002, 08:57 PM
first of all to use these goggles you need to run at a really high refresh rate at really low resolutions.
Usually, when using 3D apps people run their monitors at 1280x1024 at 85 Hz or even higher... when using 3D goggles, they would need at least a refresh rate of 120 Hz because each side of the goggles needs its own refresh rate for the image it is displaying, and that is the bare minimum refresh rate. In order to get a comfortable view of the screen I would need to run it at least at 75 Hz and preferably 85 Hz. That would mean a refresh rate with the goggles of 150 Hz and 170 Hz respectively.
What kind of monitor supports those refresh rates at anything higher than 640x480 or if it's a very high end monitor at 800x600

it would suck wouldn't it? these goggles for the consumer are there for novelty purposes only because the technology hasn't advanced far enough to allow efficient use of 3D goggles in the consumer market.

Gilgamesh
03-23-2002, 09:37 PM
Hmm, thats too bad. I wonder if there is a future for an item like that in the 3D industry. If it was done right it could really help with modelling. Plus it would just be cool.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.