PDA

View Full Version : Rain

kriscabrera
11-21-2006, 02:27 AM
Hey guys i want to get better at my particle skills, i am trying to make a scene were the rain drops react and splash when they hit the floor. You guys have any idea on how i can try it? or now any sites that will teach me. Thanks

Daniel-B
11-21-2006, 03:19 AM
Allan Mckay has a pretty cool system on rain at his site.

Check out this page to watch the video tutorial...

http://www.allanmckay.com/html/newtutorials.htm

mackdadd
11-21-2006, 05:48 AM
be sure and check out Pete Draper's stuff too, both his website and his awesome book "Deconstructing the Elements".

between Pete and Allan, you should have no problem! :thumbsup:

kriscabrera
11-21-2006, 02:17 PM
thanks alot guys am checking out there site they have some good stuff. Hey mackdadd i am planning on moving to L.A next year when i graduate around the burbank area, how is the work up there is it difficult to get in?

amckay
11-23-2006, 02:47 AM
Thanks guys for the pimping :)

mackdadd
11-25-2006, 05:53 AM
kriscabrera - it can be, depending on where you want to get in. :)

if you want in the bigger shops (R&H, DD, CafeFX, etc), I would advise learning one thing really well (compositing, rigging, texturing, tracking, etc...). If you want to be a 3d/2d generalist, you'll have much better luck in the smaller boutique shops. the smaller shops are more fun sometimes, cuz you get to do more, you get to "own" shots. that rarely happens in the big shops. but the big shops get the best projects. easier to get in if you know someone (an unfortunate truth to this industry - i didn't believe it either until I was out here for 3-4 years). But if you're good, you shouldn't have any trouble getting started.

sorry for the big off-topic...

kriscabrera
11-26-2006, 03:18 PM
Thanks Mackdad, is that i will be up there alone and i wanted to get a feel for it by someone who is up there. thanks again:)

BrandonD
11-29-2006, 03:23 AM
Along with Pete and Allan's examples, there's also a rain sample scene I made specifically for the MAX 8 CD that shows a simple, but effective way of making rain, splashes and water sliding along surfaces. I suspect it's also on the MAX 9 CD under sample files.

CGTalk Moderation
11-29-2006, 03:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.