PDA

View Full Version : Boromir's Sheild WIP

gra4mac
02-11-2003, 06:48 AM
Hi. I am working on a model of Boromir's sheild. I am most interested in how to make it look old, dingy, dented, and scrached. Like the refference image in the upper left. Any suggestions, or directions to tutorials would be great.

Cheers, Graham

no0ne
02-11-2003, 08:22 AM
cool :thumbsup:

how about some more specularity
& high-scaled roughness or more bumps/displacement?

:buttrock:

zandoria
02-11-2003, 02:51 PM
maybe some maps to limit the reflectivity and specular intensity and a diffuse map for some "grunge".:shrug:

gra4mac
02-12-2003, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the comments. I added more bump, reflectivity, and diffuse maps to try and make the sheild look old. It's getting better, but not there yet.

Part of the model went blotchy when I turned on the reflectivity, no map. Shown in upper left. The blue is the surrounding colour reflected, the grey is actually transperant. Any idea why this is happening?

Cheers, Graham

zandoria
02-12-2003, 02:05 PM
Check the Image properties in the PWS. looks like there might be a key color checked. If your Targa file has an alpha channel, A:M will automatically use it.

I've noticed that if you import an image into the PWS, the key color will be "not set". but if you add an image to the decal list by choosing "other" and then browsing for it it will come in with a key color. So that's what i would check:)

PJC
02-12-2003, 04:41 PM
...and download RJJ's AM_Fresnel material.

With that you can control (for example) the reflectivity even better. It's a pretty beefy texture, but once you get the hang of it you can get some amazing results. I used it on my FUSED! work and have it acting like car paint (a bit) where reflectivity increases at glancing angles. It really is nice.

- pjc

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.