PDA

View Full Version : Texture break-up

The-G-Man
11-20-2006, 10:45 AM
I often need to transfer LW objects into Vue. However, Vue does not support the same mapping types as LightWave, so I use Deep Exploration to convert the LW objects to 3DS format. The image maps used are, on average, 512 x 512 in size. These render very well in LW but even at Ultra in Vue 6/5 Infinite they break up as shown.

Any ideas on how to resolve this please?

IvanB
11-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Hi Graham,

Do you use uv mapping?..I found that gives me the best result...no need to convert, all you do is freeze the object in LW..save with uv texture...OR did missunderstand your delam?

Happy to whip up a tute for ya.

Heres a couple of images I quickly saved as a frozen object, that has already got some uv mapps made..Loaded in to vue..you can see a pic on the T-shirt and the jeans.

Ivan.

The-G-Man
11-20-2006, 11:16 AM
Hi Ivan,

Sorry I should have said that I am using UV mapping. But my objects are all polygons not sub-Ds. A tutorial would be useful in order to see your workflow for getting the UVs into Vue correctly. Much appreciated.

kind regards,

Graham

alvin-cgi
11-20-2006, 11:18 AM
Happy to whip up a tute for ya.

Please do... :bounce:

I am trying learn texture in Vue or Lw, and render out from vue... be good can learn some of yours tricks!:)

IvanB
11-20-2006, 11:23 AM
Hey Folks,

No Problems..It should work fine with polygons aswell (I hope) I've only ever done it with subD's. I'll give it a go now.

I'll make a tute..It'll be up by tomorrow.

EDIT: Here's a cube with uv image of brickwall, from Lightwave.

Ivan.

The-G-Man
11-21-2006, 09:36 AM
Yep. That brick cube is working OK. I'm looking forward to the tute.

G

IvanB
11-21-2006, 11:19 AM
Hi Graham,

The Tutes done..just have to covert it to upload...I have been doing a bunch of tests and have been getting some inconsistant funny stuff happening..Heres an image of what happens sometimes, and im not sure if its a bug with vue.

Have a look at the edge of the bricks...In Lw its fine, but in vue its...?

The-G-Man
11-21-2006, 11:27 AM
Hi Graham,

The Tutes done..just have to covert it to upload...I have been doing a bunch of tests and have been getting some inconsistant funny stuff happening..Heres an image of what happens sometimes, and im not sure if its a bug with vue.

Have a look at the edge of the bricks...In Lw its fine, but in vue its...?

Hmm .. That looks like the texture is planar mapped rather than spherical mapped.

Looking forward to seeing the tute as I'm going (more) nuts this end with the texturing.

Just been told by E-on that I'll have to use only 5 rendercows for Vue Infinite 6 right now as they don't have the rendercow pack upgrades ready yet. Bugger!

IvanB
11-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Sorry about the renderfarm problem :(

I'll convert the files and have them up definatly tomorrow (its a bit late now)...The UV mapping worked perfectly in the first attempt of the tute, i thought i'd make a better version, when this crap happened...I'll have a another go after work tomorrow...Cant pinpoint whats causing it.

Hang in there G!

The-G-Man
11-21-2006, 11:47 AM
Sorry about the renderfarm problem :(

I'll convert the files and have them up definatly tomorrow (its a bit late now)...The UV mapping worked perfectly in the first attempt of the tute, i thought i'd make a better version, when this crap happened...I'll have a another go after work tomorrow...Cant pinpoint whats causing it.

Hang in there G!

Cheers, much appreciated.

G

IvanB
11-22-2006, 07:53 AM
Hey People,

Heres the link to the tutes..Hope they help.

http://www.esnips.com/web/Lightwave-Objects-Into-Vue6

Ivan.

Hey Graham, I remade the tutes, this time around it all work correctly, no errors around the edges...Must be a bug.

The-G-Man
11-22-2006, 10:49 AM
Hey People,

Heres the link to the tutes..Hope they help.

http://www.esnips.com/web/Lightwave-Objects-Into-Vue6

Ivan.

Hey Graham, I remade the tutes, this time around it all work correctly, no errors around the edges...Must be a bug.

Hey Ivan, many thanks for taking the time to create the tutes. Cheers mate.

That's pretty much how I was aleady working. The objects I was transferring into Vue were architectural models of approx 450,000 polys each. It takes Vue 5 Infinite about 15/20 minutes to import a model on my P4 Dual 3.6GHz 3GB RAM machine, so I switched to 3DS format and it loaded in a fraction of the time. It's just the texture break-up which has been a pain.

Incidently, I've found trying to import the same LightWave object into Vue 6 Infinite crashes it almost immediately with an 'out of memory' error. There are still many bugs to be ironed out in Vue 6.

IvanB
11-22-2006, 11:01 AM
Hey G,

Thats cool, Vue6 needs a bit more work!..As it turned out, I had another go at importing into vue and the stupid error happened again, doing the exact same thing as in the tute...Oh well.

Just a thought..couldn't you split your LW object up and bring it into vue bit by bit?...Stuff that! wait for xstream!..

It would be nice if the LW object could also be seen in vue...dont think it will.

(got a question for ya...When i installed BNR, my LW object and scene icons disapeared..did this happen to you?...I tried asociating the .lwo to LW, in the hope the icons would be restored, but they didn't)

The-G-Man
11-22-2006, 11:14 AM
I didn't get that problem with BNR installation. Try reporting it to Paul Lord at Liquid Dream Solutions, he's always very helpful.

The guy at AsileFX said that Xstream will have the LW object displayed in Vue when the full version is released. So let's hope this actually happens. I want to be able to add landscaped gardens to my architectual LW models. If I can't see 'em I can't line up the plants, and I don't want to have to fiddle about with point light 'markers'.

Thanks again, G

IvanB
11-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Thats awsome!...Cant wait...I've been hanging for xstream!...That will make things SO much easier...No more of this crap, we've been having to deal with.

(I fixed the icon thing..I played around in the file types option and changed them back to LW icons..Thanks anyway.)

WillBellJr
11-22-2006, 02:20 PM
I still say it's a shame to have to require xtream just to get properly textured LW objects into Vue? What's up with that?

It's bad enough that Newtek included V5 in a package deal with Lightwave, only to bring frustration to any LW users that went for it...

Does OBJ imports make it over any better?

-Will

The-G-Man
11-22-2006, 03:23 PM
I'm not so sure about Xtreme. Although I've seen the tutorial that Ivan put up (thanks for that). I can't get it to work for me.

The resulting render is my LightWave object with the Vue image dropped over the top of it (see enclosed image)

Anyone else having this?

IvanB
11-22-2006, 11:01 PM
Hey G,

Could you elaborate a bit more on how the image was placed into LW...Is that a render from vue with alpha?

To composite an image in LW, I create two images..a background of sky, and then a forground of terrain etc with alpha, and use the compositing feature in LW...I have a tute on this on the esnips tute site...The forground is rendered with pure black backround..no sky no fog etc.

Once again sorryif im off, but its a bit hard to see whats happening in the image.

Ivan.

The-G-Man
11-23-2006, 10:25 AM
All I did, as an experiment, was to select an atmosphere in Vue xstream, load an object into LightWave and hit render. The resultant image is what I got. In your tutorial, the Vue atmosphere rendered behind your Fred character, whereas the atmosphere renders over the top of mine.

That's about it really. 9 hours of experimentation with Vue 6 Infinite yesterday really tested my nerves.

Dear Santa, Please bring replacement hair.

WillBellJr
11-23-2006, 04:58 PM
Seems to me like you're better off with just using Ozone for Lightwave...

Now, if your purchase of Ozone gets you a plugin that works with LW AND XSI (not requiring an individual purchase for each), then I'd definitely consider a Ozone 3 purchase...

While Vue 6 seems to be a decent upgrade, I refuse to throw out any more of my monae when I can't do something as simple as load in my Lightwave model and have it appear to be surrounded by a Vue environment.

-Will

IvanB
11-24-2006, 01:24 AM
Hey G,

sorry mate..didnt relise you were working with xstream...That is a bit odd.

Blaine91555
11-26-2006, 07:47 AM
I think we all need to take a deep breath and remember VI6 is still in Beta even if they do call it a pre-release (whatever that is) :) You gotta love the new clouds and spectral atmosphere. I'm getting some great renders inside of Vue. Much better than VI5.:thumbsup:

The-G-Man
11-26-2006, 04:01 PM
I think we all need to take a deep breath and remember VI6 is still in Beta even if they do call it a pre-release (whatever that is) :) You gotta love the new clouds and spectral atmosphere. I'm getting some great renders inside of Vue. Much better than VI5.:thumbsup:

Sure, I'll second that. The renders are faster too. Vue 6 Infinite is fun to check out for future rference, but not a serious production tool in its present state. I'm using Vue 5 Infinite for that, which was in a similar condition when it was released. E-on will get it nailed down in time.

CGTalk Moderation
11-26-2006, 04:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.