PDA

View Full Version : black screens & lighting render problems for a beginner...

xmidnight8x
11-19-2006, 09:27 PM
uuughh... Hello, I'm a beginner at Maya, currently have Maya 7.0. I purchased Learning Maya 7: Foundation and am on lesson# 4 and two problems keep arising, that I have ran into before just doodling with Maya.

1) I will test render a scene sometimes and just get a black screen in 2 seconds. I try different rendering modes, Gelato and Hardware rendering. I enable all inputs and outputs as a test and still nothing. (my vid card is a geforce 6800GT)

2) In lesson 04, you are to make a spot light with fog effects. I've moved this light all around, increased it's intensity, it shows up fine under hardware lighting, but will not show up in the test render =\

overall, when I play around with Maya, I always find myself having trouble with the above 2 issues. Sometimes paint strokes won't render or particles too. I don't want to just go on ahead without solving what causes this. Any help would be great =)

Jozvex
11-19-2006, 10:30 PM
If you're just learning Maya or just new to rendering, render everything using the Maya Software renderer (unless told to use the Hardware renderer for particles etc). Maya Software is the safest option because it supports all of Maya's features properly. It's the only renderer that does. Mental Ray has gotten better and better at rendering everything Maya can do, but it's a lot more complicated to use for someone just starting out. Gelato is cool but it supports way less than Mental Ray, hehe.

So do these problems happen when rendering with Maya Software?

xmidnight8x
11-20-2006, 03:06 AM
hey Joz, thanks for the tip ;) but yeah, these problems still sometimes come up even in the maya software, and even though I'm just starting out, I know that there can be a ton of different reasons for the cause :shrug:

it seems to only happen when i try and render lighting effects and sometimes paint/particles.

xmidnight8x
11-20-2006, 08:35 PM
anyone happen to know of a good troubleshooting site for Rendering?

CGTalk Moderation
11-20-2006, 08:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.