PDA

View Full Version : LightWave PC dongle question

LyonHaert
03-22-2002, 07:37 AM
'lo. new here.

i'm wondering about the pros and cons of the usb dongle versus the parallel dongle under win2k.

can anybody enlighten me?

raffael3d
03-22-2002, 04:39 PM
In the future most external tools (liek webcam, printer etc) will use USB connections. So you will need many USB ports to connect. If you have a USB dongle it just takes away a free port. That's it
that's a big disadvantage for the usb dongle

blazon
03-22-2002, 11:05 PM
I have had both dongles for lw. And now I will only use the USB one. Yes the USB dongle does take away one open port, but unlike the parallel port you can add a hub(a powered one is best) for the addition of more devices. Unless you like havig the dongle snake on the back of your PC or hoping the switch box will work this time, go with USB.

LyonHaert
03-23-2002, 08:57 AM
that helps. someone told me once the parallel dongle caused problems. like things slowing down or freezing.

thanks

Lamont
03-23-2002, 09:55 AM
The only downside to a parallel dongle is moving your computer too close to the wall, then one day deciding you should push it a bit more and break it.

Yup... I wish I had USB... it's small and I have USB ports on the front...

MadMax
03-23-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by raffael3d
If you have a USB dongle it just takes away a free port. That's it
that's a big disadvantage for the usb dongle

ahem......

Lightwave, Maya, Digital Fusion and a few others all have lovely lunky dongles. I have 6 of the stinking things sticking out of the back of my computer. Not to be crude but the computer looks like it has a woody.

With USB, you can EASILY add a multiport hubthat can be placed conveniently and out of the way. Dirt cheap.

Abit has a new motherboard coming out called the Max, and it has no ps2 ports, no par, no serial, no legacy ports. Just USB and 1394.

I just got a USB keyboard that has 2 USB ports on the back of it that are perfect for a USB dongle.

Lightwave had issues sharing the Parallel port with a dongle and then a printer connected to the back of the dongle's pass through. A lot of people had toasted dongles.

I do plan on upgrading mine to a USB dongle soon.........

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.