PDA

View Full Version : Character: Man-Cat

THyRoID
11-19-2006, 07:20 PM
Hey everyone. Let me know what you think about this model im working on and, most importantly, if anything is wrong with it.

The model will be animated, normal mapped, and textured within the next few weeks. I've already tried a 'pre-rig test' of an older version of the mesh and it deforms nicely in those areas I tested but I won't know for sure until I do the whole thing, right? ;) The model is a centaur like creature based on a large cat instead of a horse. I've studied feline anatomy in order to model/normal map the character properly (i hope!).

The Tri counts are as follows: Body - 9972, Armor 2282 ( i know some of you just jumped out of your chairs). I know I know, but I created this model based on the feedback I get from my friends who work on next-gen games, but it could still stand to lose a little weight.

POLY OPTIMIZATION - I should be removing the faces that aren't visible but this is a demo piece and I plan on removing the armor to show the bodymesh + normal map. I figure I could probably save another 2k if I did tho. I'm just mentioning this to let you know that I'm aware of it. :) If anything, I can always go back and reduce the hell out of it if I do decide to import it into an engine.

Software: 3ds Max 8 (model, unwrap) DeepUV(unwrap), Photoshop(texture), and Mudbox (normal maps, yes I figured out a way around the triangulating thing)

I started this project almost ten months ago for school but didn't have enough time to get it done back then. After school I barely worked on it up until a little while ago when I decided to give it a second attempt. So I redesigned it and reworked the model to what you see now. This mesh is for my demo reel and it's the third character model I've produced. I kinda went overboard with the idea but whatever. Its always best to push yourself! A little bit of background info about me: I took Classical Animation and did a post grad in Video Game Design both at Seneca College.

Thanks for your critiques and your time!

ojko
11-20-2006, 02:48 PM
The model's looking quite nice so far. The only thing that really bugs me are the ears; they look like they've been pulled off an Elf and stuck on. They don't look particularly feline and should probably sit a little higher on the head, as they're quite sharp and pointy at the moment.

THyRoID
11-21-2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the crit! Now that you mention it I have to agree about the ear. I'll rework it and post some more images later.

13thDeV
11-23-2006, 01:25 PM
Looks good, but what bothers me is the underwear like straps he's wearing. To me those looks like they're supposed to guard the beast's genetalea. For which the crotch of the straps would be up too high. I'd replace that with some other form of straps if it was my model. I'd go for a belt only and lose the crotch part. Just my opinion though. Looks good anyway :)

THyRoID
11-24-2006, 04:32 AM
HAHAHA that was the one thing I was hoping no one said. Yeah you're right... it reminds me of the front of a thong but I thought maybe I could get away with it... ah well! It's not to protect his genitals but it is there to protect his lower, cat-chest area. I slap on a belt and see how it looks.

Thanks for the crit!

blacker
11-24-2006, 05:34 PM
HAHAHA that was the one thing I was hoping no one said. Yeah you're right... it reminds me of the front of a thong but I thought maybe I could get away with it... ah well! It's not to protect his genitals but it is there to protect his lower, cat-chest area. I slap on a belt and see how it looks.

Thanks for the crit!

Just a thought, you might try leaving it as is, but add sort of a shoulder guard for his front legs (run a strap off of the front and around the outside of his legs which then connects to the part on his cat chest). That might overlap it a little bit and take some of the emphasis off of it. The design really isn't bad, but since it's RIGHT on the front of him, you tend to look there.

THyRoID
11-28-2006, 04:35 AM
I'd love to do something like that but I'm going to be animating this thing so I'm trying to avoid any sort of armor that could possibly hinder his movement... What I ended up doing was taking the design you see here and added a belt and a strap on each side of the thong which all joins with the base of the thong. When I get home I'll up some new pics and let you guys have at it.

thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
11-28-2006, 04:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.