PDA

View Full Version : Of all the renderengines...Wich one to choose?

R303
11-19-2006, 11:41 AM
Hi there.

There are like 6 renderers out there for MAYA.

And I'm so confused now. Wich one to use?

First there were Maya software renderer, and I was thinking: "Hey, what a nice sphere I made! And look! The cone is dropping a shadow onto the sphere! This is truely a good render!"

Then I discovered Mental Ray for Maya, and I was going: "To hell with tha maya software renderer! MR is MY favorit choice of renderer!"

Then came Pixars Renderman and I was: "Oh no! This look even better! Whaaa! And I was just getting used to MR. S***t, now I have to start all over learning this one - because it seems even better!"

And now! Guys, I just realized that VRay has a beta version out there for maya, and I also just visited cebas homepage, and learned that they have Final Render Stage 2!

http://www.cebasusa.com/finalRender%20Stage-2%20for%20Maya/finalRender%20for%20Maya%20Stage-2.html

But wich one of them all is "the best"?

Is it even possible to talk about a better renderer for all scenes? Or is it like with different apps, that some has it forces in some areas and others in other areas. Should I regarding the task ahead, choose the rendere from scene to scene, or IS there a "better" one? For instance has Final Render Stage 2 a good control of Z-brush displasement maps, but does it RENDER better?

What do you think?

Jozvex
11-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Hi, you left out the renderers Turtle, Gelato, Maxwell Render, Indigo, Kerkythea, 3Delight, Air... plus probably 10 more. :scream:

Is it even possible to talk about a better renderer for all scenes? Or is it like with different apps, that some has it forces in some areas and others in other areas.

You could say that some renderers are generally more 'feature complete' than others, or generally easier to use, but there's no 'best' renderer for all situations, otherwise everyone would use it.

Should I regarding the task ahead, choose the rendere from scene to scene, or IS there a "better" one? For instance has Final Render Stage 2 a good control of Z-brush displasement maps, but does it RENDER better?

Unless you're rich or your work pays for your software, instead of regarding each task ahead you should consider "what sort of rendering do I generally do the most?". Do you mostly render animated characters? Or photorealistic animations? Or mostly architecture? Or mostly product renders? Mostly cartoon style? That sort of thing.

If your answer is "hmm I don't know" or "I just render lots of different things", then just stick to the Maya Software renderer and Mental Ray. Both of those renderers are perfectly good at doing most things well. Maya Software is getting a bit old but it's still important because it supports all of Maya's special features.

Mental Ray - Can do everything very well, has tons of custom shaders to expand its features and it's free because you already have it in Maya. Difficulty is anywhere from easy to very advanced depending on what you want to do.

Renderman - Can do everything very well, though generally it's more focussed on animation and being very fast rather than super realistic GI etc. Difficulty is easy to medium for Renderman for Maya, or easy to advanced for other Renderman renderers like 3Delight or Air oe PRman etc.

Vray - Can do everything very well, though keep in mind it's not released for Maya yet, and when it does come out it may not be 100% feature complete in Maya. Vray is known for having very fast GI and GI that works well in animation.

FinalRender - I don't have much experience with it but, I assume it does everything very well. It seems very focussed on animation and fast GI for animation. It looks easy to use and flexible.

Brazil - Not out for Maya yet but is focussed on realism.

Maxwell Render - Can do very realistic rendering for still images and is very accurate. Compared in general to other renderers it's very slow. I think it's very easy to use but it's very different from all the other renderers.

Of course this is all just my opinion. :thumbsup:

R303
11-20-2006, 06:48 PM
Wow! So many renders I didn't know about. I heard about turle though, just forgot to name it.

I've worked with maya for about a year know, and I've actually never made a final render (I did one - out of need, the deadline was up, but I wasen't satisfied). In tha past year I had to learn MAYA, then MEL and EXPRESSIONS (a quite adictive stage), and now I need to render out my scenes, for 2 short-films my wife directed and wich she produced with me. Yes! After a year I actually got to the render stage (since I'm the producer I'm the one setting the deadlines - and these films live for me, not the other way around)!

The type of render I do most, or more correctly, I am going to do the most, would be CGI in movies (wife being a director and me being a very cheap 3D artist for her - see the picture?).

To be more specific it is at the moment a CG mobilphone with live character interaction, some hero CG vomit (for an alien that vomits), the alien itself in live action surroundings, some CG post-Its flying of a live action book, CG ufo flying down a live action road, a CG fly flying around live action actors and so on. In other words CGI for live action film.

I'm learning Mental Ray and for now I think I'll stick with it. As you said it's "Free" and I already know it a bit. Furthermore as you stated, it can do everything very well.

Thank you for your reply.

Daniel

Jozvex
11-20-2006, 09:25 PM
No problem! I wish you good luck! I think Mental Ray does sounds like the renderer of choice for your needs.

:thumbsup:

Lamster
11-21-2006, 03:37 AM
Mental Ray for the win. The others cost $, Mental Ray is free with Maya.

AND it can do everything. Not the fastest, but good enough.

Learn about mental ray from this forum. Don't take it for granted when people tell you things like "Oh Mental Ray Motion Blur is sooo slow". Remember that things have improved with the latest releases.

I recently had a project that involved having a photorealistic plant coming out of a bunch of real flowers shot on a set. I experienced a bit of trepidation about the motion blur, due to not having used it before. But I did read up on this forum about how the Rapid mode works really very well, almost as well as the Renderman Motion Blur, and I decided to give it a go. Worked like a charm, and was damn fast too. Pretty sure with a little tweaking, it could have been even better too hehe.

So yeah, make your commitment to Mental Ray. ;)

Terence

CGTalk Moderation
11-21-2006, 03:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.