PDA

View Full Version : lightwave basics.

element412
03-22-2002, 07:07 AM
hi , im new to lightwave and switching form 3dmax to lightwave is hard.

can someone tell me where r all the shortcuts and how to configure them.... i cant undo and redo! and lots of other things.
im talking more about the modeler.

im trying to make some simple modeling tutorials (box-modeling and sub-d) but i only find one good , its a troll modeling at 3dcafe ... did anyone have some other basics tutorials?

pls answer me.
sry to bother you.
forgot my english.
i think thats all :)
element

Chewey
03-22-2002, 07:38 AM
edit menu layout and edit keyboard shortcuts would be a good place to start. You can probably locate those without reading a single page of the manual.

Galo
03-22-2002, 02:07 PM
Hi, man i did the same as you i learned 3d in 3dsmax and passed trough to lightwave...and i dont regred it at all.....

To learn lightwave you have to get used to the shortcuts, and you cant use Edges, i find edges unnececary for 3d sinds i use LW :)

It goes like this,

u = undo
shift u = redo
l = load
s = save
shift F = Extrude
shift H is scale
h = scale one direction
t = move
y = rotate

Press p for properties for the item that you have selected.....if you have the camera selected you get the camera propertys if you have a light selected you get those propertys with "p"

Press n for numeric values, if you want to box model for example press shift X then "n" a default box of 500 x 500 mm will apear now...

Try to select 2 polys connected to eachother and try the bandsaw with divide active :)
see its easy....

another thing.....LW if such quick modeling tool cause you cant make selection mistakes......try to get used to select your points in your 3 wireframe windows and modify them there......press Ctrl when you move a polygon and see what hapoppens......wanna extrude ? klik Shift F and klick ONEC on the polygon you want to extrude.....now press t and MOVE it....that's how it works......try to get used to LW and you will love it for its speed and useage...

Hope i helped you a little :D

Just leave the default shortcuts.....they are easy to learn....
Just go to flay.com and search for some tutorials and find yourself a DECENT BOOK....thats verry important :D

Pyro2301
03-23-2002, 02:00 AM
Here: Keyboard Shortcut Card (http://www.flay.com/getarticle.cfm?articleid=20)

This should really help you out.

-Vic

element412
03-23-2002, 12:25 PM
tks guys thats exaclty what i needed. gonna try this tomorpw . im too tired now.
i hope i'll learn lightwave soon . it seems so powerfull and less bugging than 3dmax.

LyonHaert
03-24-2002, 01:42 AM
that's what i discovered, too. i first learned a bit of modelling with rhino, and then last semester took the introduction course to computer animation, in which we were taught to use max r3.1. now i'm learning lightwave on my own (no 3d course this sem.).

in every way that max was troublesome and annoying for me, lightwave fits like a glove.

element412
03-26-2002, 07:29 AM
hi. i have another question.
when i do bezier splines , i trace them and i fid really great the way u can do it (with the green circles ....sooo smooth) but when i hit enter i cant just move points by point s . cant i get baxck to the green circle to move them..????
tks

AnimaLMotheR
03-26-2002, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by element412
hi. i have another question.
when i do bezier splines , i trace them and i fid really great the way u can do it (with the green circles ....sooo smooth) but when i hit enter i cant just move points by point s . cant i get baxck to the green circle to move them..????
tks

U cant, i think. Therefore u better make 100% sure that the splines are the way u want them to be, before u hit Space/enter. :)

A small tip that u might not know of: u can adjust the amount of points a bezier spline has by hitting n on your keyboard after clicking on bezier splines button. :thumbsup:

Fuzer
03-26-2002, 08:30 AM
Yeah. Animal is correct.

If possible use freehand or illustrator (or even Flash) to create your vectors, and export as an Illustrator 5.0 file. The goto File | Import | EPSF Loader and choose the Spline curves option.

Another small tip would be to check out:
DETAIL | CURVES | CONTROL POINTS
This will give you a access to control handles on the beginning and ending point. It might come in handy if you do much with splines I guess. I've never used it other than following along with a training video :p

element412
03-27-2002, 05:27 AM
damn.
thats a bad thing about lightwave ... but im gonna live with it.....
anyway. thanks all.

Mike RB
03-27-2002, 06:30 AM
Just use normal splines. You can get the curve you want with way less points.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.