PDA

View Full Version : Trumpet, Opacity (3D)

arvid
02-10-2003, 09:50 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/6045/trumpet_hi_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/6045/trumpet_hi.jpg)

Hey folks, this is a a trumpet I made for the January contest over at XSIbase.com (http://www.xsibase.com) Since the contest is over I thought I'd show it over here as well :)

There's as usual a bunch of stuff I wanted to fix but I didn't have the time so I'll just leave it as is and move on :)

Results can be viewed here (http://www.xsibase.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=current&action=display&num=1044114191).

:beer:

Matt
02-10-2003, 09:53 PM
Nice looking, but it looks brand new.

With that case, it suggests the thing is like 20-30 years old. I'd rough it up a bit.

Fasty
02-10-2003, 10:17 PM
:eek:

That is one beautiful cornet! Makes me want to take my trumpet out and give it a polish!

Masterful!

Valkyrien
02-10-2003, 10:18 PM
it looks absolutely beautiful...dont' ding it up, could just be an old case;) I especially like the inscription...that level of detail is always a nice touch:)

dmcgrath
02-10-2003, 10:19 PM
I agree with Matt, you should work on it a little more and at least put a couple small dents in it, or tarnish it a little. It's way too shiny as it is right now. Good model and render though.

arvid
02-10-2003, 10:27 PM
Thanks folks :) The shinyness can always be disussed, it's somewhat based on a series of photos of a sertain trumpet so it's made after that partially, I though it was important to make a nice metal shader and have the middlesection look a bit handled, but not dirty or scratched :) so the dirt/reflectivitymap is strongest around the buttons and where you would put your hand, or at least where I think you put 'em! I can't play one of those ;)

cheers :beer:

MosaFacku
02-10-2003, 10:29 PM
as an old trumpet player, the valves aren't shiny enough if it was new. also, the mouthpiece looks way too long. then again, my cornet didn't have that big funky bend going to the bell, it was much smaller and less flat. other than that. its sweet.

:xtreme:

stephen2002
02-10-2003, 10:51 PM
very nice, althought the texture on the case looks a little off.

The modeling and shading of the instrument is very good. As for the shinyness, who says that the person didn't just take good care of it?

milo(6)
02-10-2003, 11:16 PM
being the first xsi base challenge i entered i was up against pretty stiff competition, and it's good to see the winner getting the credit that is due, your trumpet rocks and feel to blow it yourself.

Well done you deserved to win!:buttrock:

Edgemaster
02-11-2003, 01:17 AM
Dude your image is kick ass....I really hope you dont ding it up either...I think it looks great just the way it is........:buttrock:

roguenroll
02-11-2003, 01:18 AM
excellent:buttrock:

Matt
02-11-2003, 01:22 AM
It's not like if he ages the instrument, that he can't have two copies, one original, and one aged/dirty/dinged/whatever.

A cool thing to do would be a time-lapse sort of render sequence, where it shows the brand new trumpet and brand new case, and over time, stickers are slapped onto it, removed, scratches added to the case, the trumpet loses pieces, gets different mouthpieces, and finally just sits there for a few seconds while hyper-fast dust collects on it like it's in an attic somewhere. Then the dust is blown off of it to reveal the aged instrument.

It's not like he can't just have two files... TrumpetNew.xsi, TrumpetAged.xsi

Per-Anders
02-11-2003, 01:34 AM
that's very sweet indeed. the only crit is the texture on the case looks too procedural, and doesn't have the quality of depth that the rest of the image has.

Joel Hooks
02-11-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Matt
It's not like he can't just have two files... TrumpetNew.xsi, TrumpetAged.xsi

Somebody that loves their instrument would let the case take the beating while the trumpet remains pristine. I think it's a nice juxtaposition.

Great looking piece of 3d!

roguenroll
02-11-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by lowdown
Somebody that loves their instrument would let the case take the beating while the trumpet remains pristine. I think it's a nice juxtaposition.

Great looking piece of 3d!

I agree, my guitars are the same way, and kinda old, but look great, the cases on the other hand are beat to he.....!!

Acceler8
02-11-2003, 02:36 AM
I believe thats more of a flugelhorn isn't it?
Kicks ass though, nice texture. I think the case might have a tiny bit too much of an overall shineyness to it.
Good stuff meng:airguitar

santiago
02-11-2003, 04:25 AM
I kinda like the case more, haha
they both look beautiful together, good job man!

Toxic Frog
02-11-2003, 05:35 AM
Awesome job on the whole piece, but I especially like the scuffed leather material on the case.
If I hadn't looked closely at this pic, I would have assumed it was a photo. I think what gave the CG away to me were the gold latches on the case - just a nitpicky crit (that's what we're here for, right?) :)

Very cool and impressive piece!

Error404
02-11-2003, 05:51 AM
Back in the day when I played trumpet for Highschool, I had a beautiful Bach Strad trumpet, buy my case was all banged up. :)

spunkman
02-11-2003, 07:12 AM
:applause:

Carina
02-11-2003, 08:14 AM
Looking great opacity!

i do somewhat agree that it could do with a tiny little bit of dirt in the areas that are hard to polish. or maybe not even dirt.. but maybe some oxidised silver look if you see what i mean.

:thumbsup:

arvid
02-11-2003, 08:33 AM
Cheers everyone!!

MosaFacku: I think you're right, the mouthpiece is a tad long now that I think about it :D
Milo: Thanks man :)
Matt: hehee.. wouldn't that be something, sort of like the movie Timemachine :)
mdme_sadie: It's based on actual leather tho and the rest is handpainted, no procedurals in this one :)
Acceler8: I will take your word for it :D Thanks :)
Carina: oxidisied was what I was aiming for, thus the darker metal around the buttons, but I s'pose it's not extremely obvious, but it's the way I wanted it ;)

cermit
02-11-2003, 08:44 AM
wow...fantastic

lildragon
02-11-2003, 11:16 AM
Leave it just the way it is :), the only thing that needs to be added is a nice Jazzy backdrop with this set on a bar table or something :)

Incredible texturing, really dig that :thumbsup:

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Keep rocking!.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_feb03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the .psd file

salud

lildragon
02-11-2003, 11:24 AM
Send me a higher res also ;) and heh looks like the only Still Life in the gallery are instruments :p

salud

facial
02-11-2003, 11:44 AM
Nice work here. Keep post up:thumbsup:

arvid
02-11-2003, 11:44 AM
Cheers lildragon! :beer: :cool:

MeshedP
02-11-2003, 12:18 PM
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Great job man! You can also add more rough and oxidation. You should try to research an aged style.

OggieBoogie
02-11-2003, 02:52 PM
Great job opacity!! as allways :) just DONT change (add/delete) anything from the image as it is perfect the way it is!

Cheers!

HapZungLam
02-11-2003, 03:42 PM
do i have a chance to look at your spec or reflection map for the instrument?

i really want to see it.

pants
02-11-2003, 08:16 PM
haha, i love the atari sticker. The sticker on the left back is a little bright for my tastes however. It's not really sitting with the beat up look of the case.

awesome work otherwise. :)

flyguy
02-12-2003, 06:50 PM
what probs with how new it looks/age of case blather blather etc..
the instrument looks so good 'cos the owner kept it in it's case whenever it wasn't in use, and after use it was cleaned - meticulously - the correct procedure, yes??
well done it's excellent!

lil' rothko
02-21-2003, 08:19 PM
amazing!!:applause:

Intonater
06-12-2003, 03:29 AM
Good design.:applause:

Saeed
10-01-2003, 01:59 PM
Great Job:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.