PDA

View Full Version : Something at the window

frog
02-10-2003, 09:10 PM
Hi,

this piece was inspired after watching some of the old Disney movies which have lovely painted backgrounds. I wanted to emulate their style (if not the content) and make something painterly with rich colours and lots of character. I'm pleased with the results but feel free to crit :)

It's painted in Photoshop 7 with an A5 Intuos. All done with a variety of hard edged brushes.

http://www.btinternet.com/%7Efrog01/shadow-at-the-window01.jpg

There is also a detail at my working res here (http://www.btinternet.com/%7Efrog01/shadow-at-the-window-detail.jpg)

draconix
02-10-2003, 09:33 PM
Nicely done, I like the composition.

Keep at it. :thumbsup:

mikeS
02-10-2003, 09:57 PM
hi there

thats a very nice painting!:thumbsup: Good job on the wooden floor!!!!!

Keep keeping on!

eyewoo
02-11-2003, 04:05 AM
yup... now I'm not going to sleep very well tonight... :eek:

frog
02-11-2003, 11:51 AM
Thanks to those who've responded, much appreciated :)

However the fact that the piece has generated so few responses has made me realise it must be missing something, this isn't a complaint but rather a note to myself to try harder still!!

My aim was for people to look at this and think "wow", which hasn't quite happened. I think technically the work is ok (let me know if it isn't), so what's missing is appeal or impact. I really wanted to create something that would have a lot of appeal, with the colours, rendering, character design and expression. This is the hardest thing to do and to quantify, but it is obvious to the viewer straight away.

I am going to update this in the next couple of days to see if I can get closer to what I was aiming for.

[edit] I've toned down the area by the window so that it doesn't compete with the character in the bed for the centre of interest so much.

eyewoo
02-11-2003, 02:02 PM
I think it's the bed posts... There is somethign about them that draws way more attention than they should have. -- the fact that they are so thick and square. At least when I look at the picture, my focus is constantly on those bed posts... The atmosphere, the lighting, the colors, the feeling of being scared is all there, but those posts seem to put up a barrier to all that.

Kirt
02-11-2003, 03:47 PM
Hey Frog, I think the illustration is nicely done. Your colors and atmosphere are very good. What I think the picture is suffering from is scale and conflicting styles.

The boy, his bed and other objects in the room seem to be miniaturized. Looking down on the subject is a good idea for making him seem isolated. But I think you pushed the perspective too far back and it's making everything look like it's not much higher than our shins.

The styles are both minimalistic and detailed. The window has a skewed perspective which works well with the nightmarish theme, however I think you could have used that more in the rest of the room (throw the walls off kilter and make the furniture thrust off in odd directions). The floor is well rendered to the point where it's almost realistic, but the character and other objects are more cartoonish.

Also, the warmth of the candle could be used more on the side of the bed and folds of the bed cover where the person is.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.