PDA

View Full Version : Chubby's walk cycle

michelbidart
11-17-2006, 11:20 PM
I just made a walk cycle with my latest character. C&C are very welcome.

http://www.michelbidart.com/movies/walk.mov
About 200Kb

And check out my updated website at
http://www.michelbidart.com/

Thanks.

Monkeywiz
11-18-2006, 12:11 AM
There's some nice timing and smooth movement there, but I think it could use some more up and down in the hips to help convey a feeling of weight, and perhaps some more hip rotation too. Incidentally I find a side on version of a walk easier to crit as it's more clear how the body is moving (just my opinion not sure what anyone else thinks).

tanghuiyung
11-18-2006, 01:30 AM
I agree with Adam for adding more up and down bouncing to increase the weight and also some rotation on the pivot. I would like to add two more suggestions. First, add some forward and backward rotation on his pivot, torso and head, so he leans forward and backward when he walks. Second, add rotation on his shoulder when he swings his hand. So his shoulder looks more natural. I think the moving of feet and arm is pretty good. :)

michelbidart
11-18-2006, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the crit, guys. I was planning on doing some variations of the walk, I'll certainly use the comments as reference. I avoided moving up and down too much because I wanted a smooth, cool walk, rather than a heavy one. But I guess I could scale some curves, see how it looks. The shoulders are moving in an 8, I'll try and make it more noticeable. It will help making it seem more like a cool walk. And about the hip rotation, are talking about the side to side rotation (World Y axis)?

tanghuiyung
11-18-2006, 05:40 AM
Yes, it's side to side rotation. Your character looks pretty stiff on hip. I think you need to set the key frames on contact position. :)

Kickflipkid687
11-18-2006, 04:57 PM
Ya, that looks pretty nice. I agree with the hip. I was animating my character last night for college, and it was horrible. But, I think your feet kicking up so high like that looks a little odd, but then again, hes not human, and idk, could be happy? But the arms and torso look really nice.

michelbidart
11-19-2006, 01:37 AM
Hey, guys. New version here. I added a little bounce, made the COG move a little higher. I also made him lead with the shoulders a little more, not sure how well it works, now.

http://michelbidart.com/movies/walk2.mov

Monkeywiz
11-19-2006, 11:43 AM
I think that's already looking better, you just need a little more oppposite rotation in the shoulders and hips. It could just be the angle but at the moment it looks like the corresponding sides (i.e. left shoulder and left hip) are forward/backward at the same time, whereas if you watch someone walk they should be opposed (right hip back when right shoulder is forward, left hip back when left shoulder is forward etc).

michelbidart
11-19-2006, 12:32 PM
You're right about that, monkeywiz. I got worried that I might have done the "bear walk" from the beginning but the original animation has the hip rotation the right way. So my guess is that I might have flipped the curve when I scaled it or maybe moved it more frames than I should and it got past me. But it doesn't mater. I'll fix it right away. Thanks for the call.

divanovic
11-19-2006, 12:52 PM
Yep, definately looking better now, though maybe the feet are 'flying' too much for a heavy guy. When they walk, feet are in the air minimum amount of time, they can't wait to land... if U understand me. This way, if U look at the feet movement only U get the impression of a slim happy guy. Though, maybe that was your intent, dunno.

Hope it helps, keep it up.

michelbidart
11-19-2006, 10:34 PM
Hey, another update. Fixed the hips.

http://michelbidart.com/movies/walk2.mov

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
11-19-2006, 10:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.