PDA

View Full Version : Waterfall City (First Matte)

Duro
11-17-2006, 09:54 AM
Hi friends,
I'd like to show you my first somehow publicable work with the most common title or description in this forum: MY FIRST MATTE PAINTING :D

The Idea: the basic idea and template is greek meteora mountains with their monastery. I tried to couple it with arabic architecture (i know, some of greek friends here are not so happy about it, but it's really just art idea, nothing else behind :beer: ) and include waterfalls to bring it to live

http://mitarbeiter.hs-heilbronn.de/%7Ejuraj/meteora_city_small.jpg

Technical Notes: It's just work in progress or better stopped work in progress :rolleyes:. I got pretty stuck with the work, esspecially with the layer mess i've "created" :banghead: I'm also not sure about the composition, the mosque on right works not so well. I think, the clouds or the hills behind needs some contrast to divide them. And I'm also not sure about the correct perspective, because it was too hard to find horizont and vanishing points.
Final Thoughts: Maybe, I took too much as a beginner and should start with something less complicated and challenging.... :hmm: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#) therefor, the comments, critic and tips are really welcome.

Have a nice day

Kutkin
11-17-2006, 01:24 PM
Looks nice.
Very good for beginner.
Keep practicing :)

JJASSO
11-17-2006, 01:52 PM
welcome Duro, nice start for a begginer, you got the idea , here are a few points I suggest

aspect: for a matte painting a 16:9 aspect works better, it leaves you work more on composition and flow, try it inestead of square aspect

perspective: always draw your perspective line before even sketching it will give you the right depth

lighting and mood: think about a common lighting I mean, seeing your image I can notice lots of source lights, I don't know where the key light is, also the shadows are very important I see
a lot of missing shadows there

composition: I dont see a clear focal node , is it the bridge? the mosque? the background city?

check out the tutorials inside this matte painting forum ( a sticky thread ) you will find very good tips )

Duro
11-17-2006, 04:40 PM
Hi Jaime,
thank you for your comment and suggestions, actually i'm already more then 1 year somehow involved in matte painting or let say painting and drawing. Watching tutorials, reading books, browsing the works of the matte artists (you, dylan cole, alp altiner, dusso etc.) so i think i built already some knowledge base, but i think, i just forgott to practise...
I have quite a lot ideas and concepts, but it's difficult to realise them, so let say, problem is somewhere between the brain and the hand or is it just a brain??? :shrug: :rolleyes:

... so i have to go and start practice :D :arteest: ... have a nice day

CGTalk Moderation
11-17-2006, 04:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.