PDA

View Full Version : Prop - Old TV Set

Gamedev
11-16-2006, 10:13 PM
time is running out for me and I'm trying to get one last 'next-gen' piece in my portfolio. Its going to be this tv set sitting on top of a milk crate or old wooden chair. I want to get some feedback on the overall design so that I can head to the next step. This is actually the 'higher' rez for the normal map.

Thanks guys!

http://www.tylerwanlass.com/beta/images/cgtalk/tvProp.jpg

mindrot
11-16-2006, 10:18 PM
I was just thinking it looks a bit high-rez... the I read it was the higher poly version.

Looks good so far...

~M~

glynnsmith
11-17-2006, 10:29 AM
Hopefully another awesome prop to your portfolio. Not sure if I've commented on any of your other posts, but I've been watching ;)

Just a thought - if it's sitting on an old chair or crate, surely the antenna needs to be made out of a coathanger! :p

Looking good so far :)

Stay classy,

G

HellBoy
11-17-2006, 10:33 AM
Sucks for me not to know how to normal map :hmm:

Very cool dude :thumbsup:

Gamedev
11-17-2006, 04:21 PM
I was just thinking it looks a bit high-rez... the I read it was the higher poly version.

Looks good so far... Thanks! Wrapped up the low poly version yesterday. Just working on finishing details for the normal map today.

Just a thought - if it's sitting on an old chair or crate, surely the antenna needs to be made out of a coathanger! :p You beat me to the punch! The plan is to have the existing rabbit ears all messed up and a coat hanger that has been added (maybe with some tin foil) for some better reception. Hopefully I'll have time to get to it.

Sucks for me not to know how to normal map :hmm:

Very cool dude :thumbsup:Thanks! If I remember correctly you're using 3ds Max. You should check out my normal mapping video - links in the sig!

Gamedev
11-17-2006, 10:30 PM
Small update for the afternoon!

http://www.tylerwanlass.com/beta/images/cgtalk/tvProp2.jpg

HellBoy
11-17-2006, 11:50 PM
Thanks! If I remember correctly you're using 3ds Max. You should check out my normal mapping video - links in the sig!

Thanks alot m8. I've visited your site and I can't understand how I missed your vtm :banghead:

So after you unwrap your mesh, do you have to collapse your modifiers? Doesn't that mean your unwrapping information will be lost, also, should you unwrap your hi res version too

cheers

Gamedev
11-18-2006, 01:24 AM
So after you unwrap your mesh, do you have to collapse your modifiers? Doesn't that mean your unwrapping information will be lost, also, should you unwrap your hi res version too Yes, after you unwrap you mesh w/ no overlapping UV's collapse the stack. Later on, if you apply another unwarp UVW you'll see you're uv's are still intact. They get backed into your mesh information so no worries there. And no, the nice thing about 3ds Max is it uses a cage so unwrapping of the hi-rez is not necessary. Just unwrap the low res and you're good to go.

The second part of the vid will be out this month, time permitting :)

HellBoy
11-18-2006, 01:58 AM
The second part of the vid will be out this month, time permitting :)

Definatly am looking farward for that. You explain clearly too :thumbsup:

Anyways, I don't want to steal your thread anymore :D

cheers m8

Synthesizer
11-18-2006, 03:42 AM
Looking good so far. One thing that bugs me is the fake wood texture. Right now it sort of looks like it was projected from the side. A bit more vertical deviation could help that I think.

Also, what was on the tv that caused a bleeding person to touch it? :scream:

eirenicon
11-18-2006, 05:11 AM
So after you unwrap your mesh, do you have to collapse your modifiers? Doesn't that mean your unwrapping information will be lost

In max UVW information is only lost when you apply a new UVW map modifier (or screw up in UVW Edit). You can collapse your stack, convert from edit poly to edit mesh, export and reimport as obj, and it's still unwrapped.

Ghostscape
11-18-2006, 05:19 AM
In max UVW information is only lost when you apply a new UVW map modifier (or screw up in UVW Edit). You can collapse your stack, convert from edit poly to edit mesh, export and reimport as obj, and it's still unwrapped.

Just to clarify, the old unwrapping is lost if you apply a "UV Map" modifier, not a "UV Unwrap" modifier. The unwrap will let you edit the existing unwrap.

Cyborgguineapig
11-22-2006, 04:46 AM
Hey Tyler looking good. I dunno about that candle wax though. Might need a little water dmage in the texture too:p All jokes aside I think you should really implement the grease marks around the knobs and put in the coat hanger idea.

CGTalk Moderation
11-22-2006, 04:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.