PDA

View Full Version : masking multiple images in photoshop.

kk01
11-16-2006, 07:36 AM
Hello Guyz,

I have been trying this in Photoshop I really dont know if it's possible to achieve this. It's 'masking'. I am trying to mask a wall in a image so I can just apply an adjustment effect to the wall while the less is of the image is left untouched...

Who knows if this is possible in photoshop...

I have tried the quick mask feature in photoshop and the effect is being applied to everything/image instead of just the selection I have marqueed out. Thanks guyz...

Regards,
'kk'

Wurzelsepp2000
11-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Hi!

I donīt know if I understand you right...
For example:
If you have one layer which is solid black and you want to make a retangle with a grey or white color only with brightness/contrast settings, you can use the selection tool to define your retangle and then simply apply a contrast adjustment. So the selection is your "mask". But I recommend to use the contrast adjustment from the layer palette, not from the menu. Because itīs more flexible.
If you use this filters you can paint your own masks, too.

Do you understand what I mean or should I post a example file? :)

suztv
11-16-2006, 01:49 PM
First make your selection of the area that you want affected.

Second, while your selection is still active, create an adjustment layer by choosing "Layer", "New Adjustment Layer", Levels (or whatever adjustment you want to use), click ok at the pop-up menu.

Voila! You have an adjusment layer that affects ONLY the selection you chose. If you have an object on a layer with transparency - in the Adjustment Layer pop-up you can have that layer act as a mask - but be forwarned that if you move the layer order around you will have to create a mask or new adjustment layer.

kk01
11-16-2006, 02:57 PM
I think there's something I dont understand in your messages...is it the selection tool you use in this case or the marquee tool.

Let me give a very clear example...:say I took a photograph of the the statue of liberty and I want add a layer adjustment for levels using a mask for the background and later apply another mask to the statue of liberty to soothen the statue of liberty with hue and saturation and if I wana go futher apply another mask again for the waters below to add an adjust to it...how do I do this...

I hope this clear and not too complicated...thanks guyz and will be glad to read from you guyz really soon.

Regards,
'kk'

stylEmon
11-16-2006, 04:01 PM
use the polygon lasso tool. you can create a nice defined mask with this tool, adding or subtracting areas of your selections using 'Shift' or 'Ctrl + Alt'. I reccomend using a feather of 1 px.

After you make your selection, add an adjustment layer (in the bottom of the Layer tool box, half white/half black circle). You can always reselect the mask by 'Ctrl + Click' on the mask in the layer tool box.

You could then invert the selection to capture the Staute rather than the background, and add a new adjustment layer.

Wurzelsepp2000
11-16-2006, 06:54 PM
Thatīs exactly what I mean! ;)

kk01
11-17-2006, 08:05 PM
thank guyz, it worked but the problem is that it seems I can only add just one adjustment layer to the selection...can't I add more than one to that selection...

regards,
'kk'

suztv
11-17-2006, 09:30 PM
Yes you can - just select the area again and create another adjustment layer...
Or you could create adjustment layers and group them with a selection/mask on that.

Or create a smart object and do the same...

Several ways to achieve what you need.

kk01
11-18-2006, 08:49 AM
Thank you very much...I will try it out and I hope I'll do it successfullly...thank you very much...'kk'

kk01
11-18-2006, 03:17 PM
this is just an aside...

how do I zoom or scroll when using the marquee tool...

stylEmon
11-18-2006, 10:39 PM
in most adobe apps, all you have to do to move around the canvas, is hold space bar and drag mouse.

Wurzelsepp2000
11-19-2006, 10:25 AM
And actually "ctrl" + "+" and "ctrl" + "-" should work for zooming, too

kk01
11-19-2006, 03:03 PM
thank you guyz...will try this out...

CGTalk Moderation
11-19-2006, 03:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.