PDA

View Full Version : Question about texturing in blender.

Shellfish
11-16-2006, 07:27 AM
I feel that the texturing system in blender is not very user friendly and not compactly organice. unless I don't know something that you guys know. please tell me. THanks! Why I say its not organice is because when I doing window tilling for maybe a few building but of different size and yet they are using the same texture image. I always have to add another "link to object" and "texture" for every different shape. Now I have so many "link to object "and "texture". Please Help!

harkyman
11-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Blender's texturing system can be a bit confusing, and sometimes you're right in that it's not the most organic.

Let me restate your problem to see if I have it correct:

You have a window image texture you would like to tile across the surface of buildings of different sizes. As the Repeat value for the texture is contained within the Texture settings, not the Material settings, you find that you have to create a completely separate texture with different repeat values for each side of each building. Correct?

There are a couple of ways to get around this:

1. If your building mesh is more complex than a simple box, you can UV map all windowed sections so that each "window" overlaps in the UV window, meaning that a single instance of the window will map to each overlay in the UV window. Not the best solution, but it works.

2. You can set your initial repeat value in the window texture to be the single highest value you'll need for tiling on the large side of a building. When you render this on a smaller building, it will obviously look squished. However, you can then adjust that directly in the building's material scale settings (SizeX,SizeY,SizeZ and OffsX,OffsY,OffsZ) so that only the correct portion of the overall repeated texture is shown.

However, if you just want to make a single material to apply to all buildings, you'll have to go the UV method.

I'm a coder (though I haven't committed anything to Blender lately), and it seems that a new option in textures, like "Repeat with absolute size" would be useful for things like this.

Shellfish
11-16-2006, 01:43 PM
So am I right to say that uvwrap would be the most useful way to map in blender? Can you give any advice on how I should go about in mapping a road the fastest way possible?

road image - http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81685

harkyman
11-16-2006, 02:50 PM
After digging into the code, I saw that the feature I had suggested is already there. You set the material to use Global, Cube mapping, with Repeat set in the texture. From there, you control the size of the windows against the global space with the SizeX/Y/Z OffsX/Y/Z controls in the Map Input Material tab.

As to how to UV unwrap your road... that's a whole different problem, and unfortunately one that I don't have time to answer right now.

OpenDut
11-16-2006, 02:55 PM
Just use UV mapping.

1) Select your road object.

2) Press F to enter UV face select mode
3) Press U to bring up the unwrapping methods and pick "Unwrap" (which is LSCM).

4) Split the 3D view into two windows and on one of them, press Shift + F10 to enter UV editor

5) You should see the UV map of your road you unwraped just then.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/Ryu_Kaiser/road.jpg

6) You can choose to export this UV map if you wish, or you could just add your road texture in and move your UVs around. For me, I'll export this road and paint it because I might as well learn how to do UV mappinig.

7) If you have decided to export your UV map and paint the texture on, then do so. Once you've painted your road, make sure you turn off / hide the UV map layer in Photoshop or Gimp.

8) Now open this painted texture of yours in the UV editor.

9) If you haven't added a material for this road, you should do so now. Once you have a material for your road, you can then add a texture for this material.

10) In the F5 materials menu, Map Input panel, choose "UV" rather than "Orco". Also for the Map To panel, choose "Col" because you want the texture you painted to be the colour of the object.

11) In the F6 textures menu, add an "image" texture. Choose your road texture when the new options for the image texture appears.

Then you're done.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/Ryu_Kaiser/road_complete.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/Ryu_Kaiser/road_render.jpg

Shellfish
11-16-2006, 03:30 PM
To harkyman - But I still need to create a completely separate new texture for each different building that are using the same texture. One more problem in this way of mapping is that more time is spended on just to adject the size and offset of the mapping so that on the end of the till texture well meet at the edge of the mesh.

To OpenDut - Thanks! That what I been doing. Its taking to much time to do the uvwrap, especially when the road is long and does not go all the way straight. I just thought that there could be a faster way of mapping than using uvwrap.

OpenDut
11-16-2006, 03:37 PM
I guess you could just use project from view 1:1.

CGTalk Moderation
11-16-2006, 03:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.