PDA

View Full Version : Light Fog & Movie Shader

CGr00kIe
11-16-2006, 03:49 AM
I'm having trouble with using a movie shader (.avi type movie) on the color node of a light with the light fog node activated. The fog renders just fine (I'm using software render), but the light "rays" produced by the movie are too hard and produce a moire effect. Is there any way to soften the rays up/remove the moire? Is this the fault of the movie or the fog? This seems to be out of bounds for common uses, I couldn't find any information on it.

Any recommendations?

CGr00kIe
11-16-2006, 10:02 PM
I gotta quit trying odd stuff... No one has any answers :rolleyes: :)

Oh well, I figured it out.... The answer for anyone who should find the thread and have the same issue:

Turn the filtering "Off" for the movie (gets rid of moire). Use a higher res AVI, and don't create too wide of a fog cone. The wider the cone, the further your movie texture gets spread out and the pixelation/hard edges show up in the light beam's projection.

one
11-18-2006, 05:06 AM
What is a movie shader?

olcho
11-18-2006, 10:49 AM
guess it could be frustrating to ask and not to get answers.... but at least you do find them for yourself... i wish it could work out like that every time... :thumbsup:

CGr00kIe
11-18-2006, 05:27 PM
What is a movie shader?

Movie shader = Maya > Hypershade > 2D textures > "Movie" (icon has the little registration mark with an "8" on it). Allows you to play a sequence of images on a surface or other node. I.e. if you have a TV in a scene, you can assign a movie shader to the tube and the TV will show whatever sequence of images you have loaded, like a TV show.

Olcho - I'd like to think I'm not lazy :) ! I always hope that when I post a question it'll get answered and save me the trouble of having to spend valuable time researching something obscure (for some reason I always try the wierd stuff! It takes forever to figure out, I'm still somewhat new.), but everyone else's time is valuable too and you can't expect them to give it to you free if they haven't aready solved the problem. Oh well, that's why I try to post a solution if I figure it out, you never know who else will need the info.

olcho
11-18-2006, 06:36 PM
I like your way. Don't be afraid to try the weird stuff, because that's where all the fun really is.

And don't give up - sometimes it's hard as hell! :)

Good luck

CGTalk Moderation
11-18-2006, 06:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.