PDA

View Full Version : Character Skinning in Max 8: Skin Morph Issues

kidcanuck
11-15-2006, 10:07 PM
Hi all,

I'm rigging a fairly realistic character in Max 8 right now and having some issues controlling the joints. The skin modifier and weight table is not enough on its own so I've been playing with the Skin Morph modifier to fine tune the deformations around joints such as the elbows.

It's in the skin morph modifier that I'm having my issues. It only allows me to have values of 100 or zero, and nothing in between when affecting the mesh. It's generally set to 100% and only sets to zero when the influence angle of that morph is also zeroed. Essentially, I can have a morph on or off, but it doesn't animate or tween at all.

I'm using Brad Noble's free rig (http://www.bradnoble.net/rigging/index.html) and not completely familiar with how it's set up. The problem could be coming from here. I was thnking that perhaps his bones' rotations aren't registering properly with the Skin Morph modifier, but don't know how I'd check that out.

I've also come across a dead thread that sounds like a similar problem, but the solution that worked there didn't work for me. It's posted at http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=189347

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Diependaal
11-16-2006, 07:34 AM
make sure.. you ad the morph deformer at you base pose.. and than alter your mesh where it needs to be deformed, its 100% state... it will key from your pose where you added the deformer to where you edited it.

in your animation it will have to run smoothly than, you could even tweak it a little by animating its values again.

kidcanuck
11-16-2006, 04:05 PM
I appreciate the quick reply. I've already done this without any success. I'm afraid my problem is bigger. Any other suggestions?

CGTalk Moderation
11-16-2006, 04:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.