PDA

View Full Version : What constraint should I use?

dalecampbelljr
11-15-2006, 08:10 PM
I have a scene with a grandfather and his grandson walking; I want to place the grandfathers right have on the right shoulder of his grandson as they are walking. I tried using a parent/child constraint, where I use the grandfathers hand as a child and his grandsons right shoulder bone as the parent but that did work at all. Any suggestions as to how to do this?

LoneCanuck
11-15-2006, 08:15 PM
A little more information needed...

Are you using Control Rigs or IK constrained limbs?

If you are using Control Rigs, place the arm of the Grandfather in the position where you want it on the shoulder and Create an Auxiliary for that Arm/Hand (see the Character Rig panel on the upper right hand side).

Use a Parent/Child constraint to parent the Aux to the bone/Control Rig point on the Grandson.

Key the Reach Translation and Rotation for the Auxiliary to be 100 percent (see the Character Rig panel on the upper right hand side) for the duration you want active during your animation.

dalecampbelljr
11-15-2006, 09:06 PM
yes it is a control rig.

dalecampbelljr
11-16-2006, 04:34 AM
Hey thanks Lone_Canuck that worked!

colkai
11-16-2006, 02:27 PM
Dunno if you have an old copy of 3DWorld lying around Dale, but they did a knight picking up using and sheathing a sword using this sort of method which is great for showing you how to animate that setup.

Curtis
11-19-2006, 06:02 PM
If you plan on parenting one character control rig to another, make sure you have "Double Solving" activated (it's a property on the character control rig). This will allow for proper evaluation of the second control rig, which is being effected by a constraint, that is driven by the first character's control rig.

Cheers,

Curtis Garton

drfoley
12-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Hey Colkai,

do you have a copy of this 3D World article and or it's supporting files?

I'd love to see how they set that up.

Thanks,
DrFoley

colkai
12-07-2006, 07:27 AM
As a matter of fact, I do, I'm just not sure about the legality of posting it up here.
It isn't available on the 3DWorld website, I know because I've checked.

PM me your EMail address.

CGTalk Moderation
12-07-2006, 07:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.