PDA

View Full Version : Spreadsheet buggy? It often chrashes my system

MrWyatt
02-10-2003, 09:13 AM
Hi fellow LightWavers. Are there any known issues about bugs in the spreadsheet? nearly every time I want to make the window bigger by draging the down right corner of it it crashes my system so that neither I can do the Ctrl+Alt+Del trick nore push the reset button on the computer itself. I actually have to literally pull the plug, wich is kind of crap I think.
:thumbsdow
I run LightWave on a PC, dual P3 1 GHz, 380 MB Ram, Win 2K Service Pack 3, Geforce 4 Ti 4200 64MB DDR Ram, two monitors. I run all tools and palletes like stats and the editors ( also Spreadsheet ) on the second monitor.
Can anybody help me , and give me a solution on how to stop that from happening? Is this a known bug or is it my system?
:cry:

wgreenlee1
02-10-2003, 10:11 AM
It used to crash doing a lot of things on my older model computer.
I try to keep the drivers updated and keep rouge programs from loading or deleting them when needed and the more I keep my system "maintained" the more stable everything becomes.
When I got my dongle back I went through and was really checking everything out and I think its now even more stable than ever(Lightwave I'm saying) so that may be a thing to be on the watch for.

4dartist
02-10-2003, 03:54 PM
I really hope this helps.. spreedsheet is the devil and its a savior hehe. Here at work we render with LWSN all the time and almost EVERYTIME... (repeat) EVERYTIME i render i have to open the .lws file in my text editor and delete out --->
Plugin MasterHandler 1 .SpreadsheetStandardBanks
EndPlugin
Plugin MasterHandler 2 .SpreadsheetStandardBanks
EndPlugin

And i leave the one with the word Scene in there.. but you can delete that too. Its a plugin that you only need when you are using it, it retains no data so just trash it before you render. Oh oh, and best thing to do probably is to just go to master pluggins and delete the plugin from the list. And to get it back just hit the spreadsheet button and it will pop in that masterpluggin list again. I have noticed anytime there is more than 1 .SpreadsheetStandardBanks in my file, LWSN crashes or doesn't load properly. I dunno why i get more than 1 banks line in my files, i only ever have 1 spreadsheet pluggin running.

Fortunatly this problem only happens in LWSN and i can render and manuver in LW fine.. Unfortunatly this probably doesn't help you :(..

MrWyatt
02-10-2003, 05:00 PM
not really as this might be another problem. did spreadsheet ever crashed your system ?

toonshady
02-11-2003, 03:36 AM
Yups. i come to find 7.5 spreadsheet is really crashy. I do something like changing color of a bunch of selected bones, and it would crash. And this is something I can make it happen 99% of the time if not 100%. Hope 7.5b would catch this one.

CIM
02-11-2003, 04:03 AM
Being that the Spreadsheet Editor is just a plugin, you can expect there to be bugs and for it to crash at times. This is one of the biggest reasons Newtek should stop being lazy and integrate aquired plugins. :-)

4dartist
02-11-2003, 04:07 PM
Na, never crashes my system tho, i only use it to lock off Scale and Translate and some Rotational axis for my rigs tho. OMG if it had the abiltiy to exclude objects from lights i would use it a lot more. hehe

BeeVee
02-11-2003, 04:37 PM
There's already an LScript to do this from Steve Hurley. Can't give you a direct link because his site uses frames, but if you go to http://www.hurleyworks.com/ , go to plugins, go to LScripts, it's the one at the top... :)

HTH,

B

Joril
02-11-2003, 06:13 PM
Yes, I had chrashes with it before.
But it hasn't since the upgrade to 7.5, I did a system upgrade aswell so that might have helped too.

rickycox
02-11-2003, 11:52 PM
Yes the bugs have been well documented in the old LW forums ie http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/12739.html?1010005539

But lots of other threads to this same effect.

webfox
02-12-2003, 01:23 AM
But it hasn't since the upgrade to 7.5, I did a system upgrade aswell so that might have helped too.

Same here. Ever since I got WinXP Pro, a Geforce 4 Ti4200 with 128 Mb DDR, and 1 Gig of RAM, I haven't had it crash me, even when running older scenes that did crash it before... and I'm even running dual monitors now.

I was going to post last night to mention this, but since I don't know which variable fixed it, I was hesitant to just say that it's gone.

One thing to remember, constantly updating your graphics drivers may not be the solution. If your system works fine with your current drivers, then changing them may introduce problems.

I wish you luck in fixing your problem.

MrWyatt
02-12-2003, 07:47 AM
canīt wait to get my new system, Iīm allready waiting too darn long for it but it should be there in 10 days or so.
:drool:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.