PDA

View Full Version : Close-up tree

C4DS
11-15-2006, 10:56 AM
I need to create a scene with a close-up shot of a tree. I am using the white oak purchased from Cornucopia3D. In the meantime I have managed find a nice spot for the camera in the tree, so that a branch is seen close-up and some of the trunk is still visible.
The problem now is that the leaves are flat planes with alpha mapped textures, and many of these planes are oriented so that the audience definitely can see these as flat planes.
Is there another way of creating trees in Vue, using ecosystem for the leaves ?
I seem to remember someone mentioning some kind of tutorial related to this.
If not, is there a way to rearrange/reorient the planes ... I have tried every setting in the plant editor (using Vue5 infinite), put since the leaves are represented as a set of leaves on a plane, it is not possible to apply curl, which would solve the problem if every flat plane was a single leaf instead. I also tried to create a different leave map by using only a single leaf as texture and alpha map, but that didn't quite give the expected result.

Any ideas ?
Thanks.

bruno021
11-17-2006, 08:15 AM
You can't apply curl? Why not? You can apply curl, but Vue plants's structure is made so the last branching level is an alpha plane, with leaves attached to it, so you can apply curl, but it won't curl leaves, it will curl the entire plane.
For close-ups, it's best not to use Vue trees, though I think the White oak looks fantastic, with the right camera angle.

mikeberg
11-17-2006, 01:46 PM
Go get the free Xfrog trees at their site. They are excellent...

C4DS
11-17-2006, 05:36 PM
@bruno021

For regular plants -where one single leaf is used per leaf plane- the curl can be usefull, but in case of trees the curl is quite useless, as the leaf plane is usually a bunch of leaves. If you then apply curl it will not actually curl the single leaves. So for planes that are perpendicular (or almost) to the camera there is no way to make them appear "non-flat".

@mikeberg

free trees ... thanks, will have a look.
Edit: OK, found the sweet birch free samples ...

CGTalk Moderation
11-17-2006, 05:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.