PDA

View Full Version : Rendering for TV Commercial

Rick Davidson
11-15-2006, 07:41 AM
Hi there! I've just picked up a job for a TVC and wondered if there was anyone out there with tips for rendering out for standard TV broadcast ie. resolution, safe areas. For starters, am I right in thinking renders should be 720x576 (pal)? Any tips and experience appreciated. Cheers :scream:

Slysilver
11-15-2006, 11:08 AM
Hi Rick,

Yes, for pal broadcast you should render at PAL D1/DV (720X576).
You should have settings in the software program you are using which would enable you to view 'safe action'/'safe title' frame in your composition.
If you are not sure where the settings are, let me know what software program you are using, and I'll see if I'm familiar with it.

wizzackr
11-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Hi there! I've just picked up a job for a TVC and wondered if there was anyone out there with tips for rendering out for standard TV broadcast ie. resolution, safe areas. For starters, am I right in thinking renders should be 720x576 (pal)? Any tips and experience appreciated. Cheers :scream:

depending on what it is you are doing i would suggest rendering out slightly larger images, though. that gives you more wiggle-room to slightly adjust framing, camera shakes and such in post afterwards. highly worthwile if you have a client that is into changing stuff around ;)

anthonymcgrath
11-15-2006, 12:26 PM
D1 pal (normal 4x3 image) or CCIR PAL/Quantel PAL:
width 720
height 576
device aspect ratio: 1.333 (pixel aspect should auto change to 1.066)

WIDESCREEN square pixels:
width: 1024
height: 576
device aspect ratio: 1.778 (pix aspect should change to 1.000)

once set to what you want - select camera and switch on view/camera settings/resolution gate. This lets you see what the camera will render out. Theres also safe action and title in the same menu too.

agree with the rendering slightly higher resolution stuff if client likes shuftying stuff about.

Rick Davidson
11-15-2006, 09:16 PM
Wow thanks guys, helpful stuff, useful tip about going slightly bigger. Yes I think there will be a bit of shake, style will be similar to the Tokyo Plastic Yaris ads (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skhaeXwfh3s).

Working in Maya of course, so I gather the standard safe action/title settings are ok?

What formats would you output to? We'll be doing post in After Effects.

Hamburger
11-16-2006, 07:32 AM
Don't forget since you are working in PAL double check to see if Maya is set at 25fps.

anthonymcgrath
11-16-2006, 09:19 AM
The standard safe/action bars are good in maya if your only doing the ad for widescreen only. Alot of the time clients want any kind of text or anything to fit inside a 14x9 safe title area. unfortunately there isn't one in maya and I have no idea as to if you can edit the safe title/action area that maya displays.

Slysilver
11-16-2006, 09:49 AM
You can set your desired resolution(wide or standard), and you will find the safe action and safe title frame in the viewport menu under view/camera settings - Always works perfectly for me

anthonymcgrath
11-16-2006, 09:52 AM
aye what I'd like is if you could edit those safe action/title areas - some projects I need a safe title frame thats smaller than maya's default one :/

Slysilver
11-16-2006, 10:05 AM
In that case, I would follow the advise about rendering out larger frames, and then manipulating the size in post.

Rick Davidson
11-16-2006, 10:10 AM
Hey thanks Ant. Ha sorry what do you mean by 14x9? I guess I can always export to DVD and test view it...

Because I don't know any better, I've always output my renders as BMPs and compiled them in After Effects. Is there a more efficient way of exporting to post?

Rick Davidson
11-23-2006, 08:51 AM
Any tips here on best file format to output for use in After Effects for compositing?

anthonymcgrath
11-23-2006, 09:50 AM
14x9 is a safety guideline that adheres to safe action/title with 4x3 and 16x9 ratio.

I usually always render out a maya .iff sequence - for one thing Maya renders them almost 1/3 faster than any other file format I've tried and they're also able to hold the alpha channel, depth info (altho not much clue on how to use it) and motion vector info (handy for use with realsmart motionblur plugin for afx). Most of all tho I'm just too bone idle to change the render globals in maya to render a different file format...

Rick Davidson
11-23-2006, 10:38 AM
I like your thinking :) Realsmart hmmm? So many toys to learn.. thanks Ant, you're a great help :)

anthonymcgrath
11-23-2006, 10:49 AM
I like to try :)

do a search for realsmart (or is it reelsmart? hmm..) 2d motion blur on this site - looooaaaaaddds of info on it.

chiax2
11-24-2006, 04:55 AM
I have been doing Tv commercials using Pal size.... 720 576 yeap..
and the camera settting for the film gate should be set to 35mm TV projection.
then the image plane if u have footage to track PLacement should set to ( to size ) and click the fit on film gate. then watever you do the image wont distord.

now...
I am trying to move to HD..
anyone knows about HD setting for rhe maya camera?

there are HD 1920 x 1280
and HD 1280 x 720

Why are there 2 different HD size?

what's the correct camera setting for the filmgate ?

I have tried using Match mover to check the film gate and its not in the list of the maya camera.

hope someone here actually can give some ideas..

cheers,
chia

CGTalk Moderation
11-24-2006, 04:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.