PDA

View Full Version : Wip - F500

Dead
11-15-2006, 01:50 AM
Hi all,

Just starting out in 3d with maya. This is my first game model and the first texturing I've ever done.

The model is loosely based off the Wipeout series, a racer/spacecraft

I've already learnt alot from UV mapping and modeling for games by doing this and could go back to it and revise it, but just working on finishing the texture off at the moment and would like some critique and any advice people may have. Not sure what people need to view it, here's a render.

ArchangelTalon
11-15-2006, 02:14 AM
It looks like it might be pretty good, but it's very hard to crit it based on a close-up with a very narrow DOF.

A view showing the entire model and the same thing with wireframes would be useful for crits, e.g. just a screengrab from in the 3D program. Also your texture flats to show the texture usage and UVs would be useful if you're wanting crits on those.

Dead
11-15-2006, 03:00 AM
here are some more images.

I'm also interested on ideas behind 'correct' modeling for games, I've read a good amount but don't understand it in my own work currently

NME-Se7eN
11-15-2006, 03:23 AM
Define "Correct." As in what genre is your goal?

Main reason why I ask is because I'm currently working on three seperate projects. One which I do at Frasca as my full time job and that done in an entirely different way from the other two projects.

The second is an RPG (you can see work on the very first character for it in this very forum, except not much is done yet) and likewise, I use techniques that will never see the light of day on the other two projects.

And the final is a vertical shooter and I create my models sectionally for this. Sort of how I did contract work on FSOne for InertiaSoft.

The goal is to play with several styles of modeling until you find one which "clicks." If you want, I can create a tutorial for when I craft another enemy ship for my vertical shooter. If that will help any, just request it with a Private Message.

Dead
11-15-2006, 06:38 AM
I've had intent to try and get it into the Half-life2 "source" engine as I've got the sdk and tools already for all that.

So I guess it really depends on what its for and its end use. For correct I meant it wasn't going to work in the engine due to: errornious modeling, incorrect setup of the textures etc

the texture is a 2048x2048 map

Any comments?

CGTalk Moderation
11-15-2006, 06:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.