PDA

View Full Version : duplicating layers

nick50
11-14-2006, 09:17 PM
I can't seem to be able to make a duplicate layer. I used the help center in Corel painter, but I could not get it to work the way it was explained, the duplicate function is always greyed out. I used the layer adjustment tool, then clicked/option on the document, but nothing happens. I am using a Mac with OS Tiger, and Painter XI.5

sand dragon
11-15-2006, 10:15 PM
I can't seem to be able to make a duplicate layer. I used the help center in Corel painter, but I could not get it to work the way it was explained, the duplicate function is always greyed out. I used the layer adjustment tool, then clicked/option on the document, but nothing happens. I am using a Mac with OS Tiger, and Painter XI.5

Hi Nick,

For this purpose, the canvas itself is not classed as a layer, so if you have the canvas selected in the Layers palette, the Layers menu> Duplicate Layer option will be grayed out.

If you want to duplicate an actual layer, select the specific layer in the Layers palette, select the Layer Adjuster tool and Option> Click in the image.

If you wish to duplicate the Canvas onto its own layer, select the canvas in the layers palette, Select> All, then with the Layer Adjuster tool selected, Option> Click in the selection.

David

nick50
11-15-2006, 10:48 PM
I tried your suggestions, and they worked Your explanation of duping layers was very concise, and easy to understand. I've had Painter for a year, but have not used layers like I do in PS 7, waiting for PSCS3. I went to Corel help, and one other famous source on duplicating layers, and they weren't even close to your explaination. Thanks again for your help. I'm ready to try some new stuff on the 'puter. I do most of my art in Painter, then clean up with PS.

Jinbrown
11-16-2006, 04:04 PM
Hi Nick,

For this purpose, the canvas itself is not classed as a layer, so if you have the canvas selected in the Layers palette, the Layers menu> Duplicate Layer option will be grayed out.

If you want to duplicate an actual layer, select the specific layer in the Layers palette, select the Layer Adjuster tool and Option> Click in the image.

This is the method I use to duplicate a Layer:

1. In the Layers palette, highlight the Layer.

2. In Windows, right-click and choose Duplicate from the contextual menu. On Mac, either right-click or Ctrl-click and choose Duplicate from the contextual menu.

If you wish to duplicate the Canvas onto its own layer, select the canvas in the layers palette, Select> All, then with the Layer Adjuster tool selected, click in the image.

David

That won't duplicate the Canvas. Instead, it will lift the Canvas imagery to a Layer leaving the actual Canvas blank.

To duplicate the Canvas, do the following:

1. In the Layers palette, highlight Canvas.

2. Use Select > All (or Ctrl/Command+A) to select the entire Canvas.

3. Click the F key to activate the Layer Adjuster tool.

4. Hold down the Alt/Option key and click inside the selection. Now you have the Canvas imagery still on the Canvas and duplicated on a Layer.

Terro
11-16-2006, 04:14 PM
I always use the Select All --> Copy --> Paste In Place Method.
Quick way to get it done is to set up macro buttons in your pallete, that way you can do it with 3 clicks.

nick50
11-16-2006, 05:37 PM
I tried all your suggestions, and they work great. I've been doing a lot of painting using Painter XI, but have not used the layers, for some reason that I can't think of. I use them quite a bit in PS. I use Painter as my primary painting tool. I seem to sell quite a bit at all the art festivals, and art gallerys. I print them on canvas and watercolor paper. I size them from 8"X10", to 36"X40". I am only one of a handful of artists in the area the do digital paintings, and we all have differnt styles. I had reached a roadblock with PS, and had been wanting Painter for a while. Wish I had gotten it sooner, Painter is wonderful. Thanks again for the help, you guys are lifesavers!

sand dragon
11-16-2006, 08:06 PM
This is the method I use to duplicate a Layer:

1. In the Layers palette, highlight the Layer.

2. In Windows, right-click and choose Duplicate from the contextual menu. I think it's Command-click on Mac.

David,

Please correct me if I'm wrong about Command-click for Mac. Thanks.

Thanks for correcting me on duplicating the Canvas Jin. I have now edited my original post.

To bring up the contextual layer on the Mac, either right click or Ctrl + Click.

David

Jinbrown
11-16-2006, 08:24 PM
Hi David,

Thanks for correcting me on the keyboard shortcut to open the Layer contextual menu.

I've edited my message above.

Good thing we have each other to get things straight for both platforms. ;)

CGTalk Moderation
11-16-2006, 08:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.