PDA

View Full Version : DFX+5 and SHake

11-14-2006, 10:15 PM
I am looking at upgrading my DFX+ 4 to 5. But it cost the same price as Shake 4.1.

I am Mac user and just got Macintel for dual boot. I have never use DFX+ before and about to jump in. So, I need to get opinion, which way I should go, upgrading to DFX+5 or getting Shake. (they are the same price).

Thanks,

beaker
11-15-2006, 01:14 AM
What are you doing with the software(what kind of work)? Do you need more then 8 bits/channel?

11-15-2006, 07:08 AM
I am architect. Not architecutral illustration, registered architect. But I am interested in 3d and mostly use to help my design.
I want compositor , mostly for hobby, hope to do my simple animation
for fun and might use for composite my rendering to present my design.

Upgrading from DFX+4(bundle with LW) to 5 and getting Shake are the same cost $500. I am Mac user and don't want to reboot my machine just to run one or two programs. That is the reason I likely to go with Shake instead of learning DFX+4 I had while saving money. However, after looking at DFX+5, there are a lot new feature, espacially the 3d feature. So, I thin DFX+5 looks like it has more feature than Shake, but using Shake 4.1 would be easier for me because most of the stuffs I use are in Mac. Howevr, Shake 4.1 is the last version, but it might get combined to Final Cut Pro.

Tough choice.

Thanks

Limbus
11-16-2006, 04:37 PM
Hi,
rebooting just to use DFX would geon my nerves pretty quick but I guess you could also use Lightwave under Windows so you could do all 3D work on it.
Other than that I would get DFX just because Shake is discontinued and no one nows when anything new from Apple might come and how good version 1 of that thing will be. The new 3D Tools in DFX 5 are just another reason.

Florian

11-16-2006, 07:37 PM
Thanks, I'll go for it!

beaker
11-16-2006, 08:10 PM
what os are you doing your 3d under? Are you just using LW or do you have another app?

11-16-2006, 11:51 PM
I'm using Lightwave, Modo, XSI and Formz. Modo, Lightwave and Formz are my main tolls for designing. XSI 4 is just begining. I can not deal with it intrface and complexity. I mostly use 3D for designing and presentation.

Check this one www.tokyo-midtown.com

It is the project that I have been working during the last 5 years, I designed the commercial area, all in 3D until the client approve we documented the design in CAD later. No all renderings in there were done by me, but half of them in commercial area were from my design and the renderings I did for presenting to my clients and their board for approval of design.

I want to play with compositor, yeah to play with and will find out how I can use it for stream up my presentation process. Also, I want to do my own animation, as a dream for the kid who grow-up with Japanese animate and giant robots in 60s and 70s.

Thanks for all your advice.

CGTalk Moderation
11-16-2006, 11:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.