PDA

View Full Version : Shader turns black when character rotates

demdike
11-14-2006, 04:32 PM
Greetings everybody,

I stumbled over a strange Error, never experienced it before:
I got a polygonal character, deformed by a lattice box, this box is skinned to a spine controlled by an IKSplineHandle.
When I now rotate the character (it's root joint/the controls, doesn't matter) 180 degrees, it's geometry turns/fades to black, same happens when I render the scene. I tried to assign several shaders, made a new scene and imported/referenced it, however, the problem stays.
If I just rotate the geometry itself the shaders behave normal...

If anyone ever had the same issues, I'd be glad to hear from it.

Update: If I turn on Display>Polygons>Tangents, I see that these rotate wildly...Although I know that's got to be the problem I'm still lost on a solution to this, everything deformed by the lattice shows this behaviour.:shrug:

Workaround: If you ever experience such, smooth your character/convert it to SubDs with history (Proxy Object). Worked fine for me since I'm rigging a lowRes-version of the character, but I'd still love to know why this occurs.

anthonymcgrath
11-15-2006, 11:42 AM
I'm guessing locked vertex normals (or unlocked - can never remember which way hehe!) if its a poly model with a shader (no texture) on it.

Dialector
11-15-2006, 04:57 PM
Try unlocking your normals which will may give the model a faceted look. If it does then set the smooth to 180.

demdike
11-15-2006, 05:18 PM
anthonymcgrath, Dialector, thank you so much! You were both right, I probably changed that setting sometime during the rigging. I vaguely remember that I once set the normal angle to 30 degrees, maybe accidently hitted a button afterwards...thanks a lot for your help, it's highly appreciated and was a great help:)

Best, flo.

CGTalk Moderation
11-15-2006, 05:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.