PDA

View Full Version : Distance to Camera Falloff for Bump channel of Animated Water?

NiGMa
11-14-2006, 12:58 AM
How would I achieve this, I don't totally understand how the function/node editor works. I am a Lightwave user, I know in Lightwave I can specify say after 20m from camera the bump channel to just fall off.

Help please.

Thanks

Pete

NiGMa
11-14-2006, 11:21 PM
So is it too hard for you guys or did I not explain it properly?

IvanB
11-15-2006, 02:39 AM
Hi Nigma,

I know what you mean...I think I read something on the e-on website about this...I'll check and get back to you.

NiGMa
11-15-2006, 03:05 AM
hey cool, I hoped you'd reply IvanB, Im up in Brisbane btw. =)

Thanks mate!

IvanB
11-16-2006, 07:11 AM
Hey Nigma,

Qld...I love Qld...im freezing down here.

I had a look, and couldnt find anything on the bump thing...sorry mate. The function editor is a mistery to me aswell, still trying to get my head around it..there probably is a way to get bump thing happening..try the e-on, cornucopia and renderosity forums, there is some vue gurus in there.

Ivan.

NiGMa
11-17-2006, 12:14 AM
Its actually a bit chilly up here too at the moment. =)

I will try those forums. Thanks for your help.

bruno021
11-17-2006, 09:00 AM
No, no such parameter in Vue6, but a cool feature to suggest for future releases!

IvanB
11-17-2006, 09:11 AM
Hey Nigma,

come on man! SUNNY Queensland..LOL.

What seems to be the problem...are you having trouble rendering an ocean..is it taking too long?..if so, there is a few things you can do.

Ivan.

NiGMa
11-17-2006, 09:43 AM
No, not an ocean, a lake. Its part of a new 300 block estate up north. compositing LW houses and streets with Vue landscaping. We just got Vue6 today, can't believe it, it cut our render time in half, we would have had to hire another computer to complete this job.

The problem is that I am getting some flickering after about 30-50m on the water texture, it would be good if it was just turned off after this distance. Also, it will produce a nice reflection after that distance because it will be really flat. But no-one seems to know how to do it. Its seems like it wouldnt be too hard to do. I mean there is a "distance to camera" input in the node editor and linking it to the bump channel should do it, together with some filter, I just dont know where you would input a distance. The manual defines "distance to camera" as a number that increases with distance from camera. So... doesn't seem too hard, I am suprised no-one has seen a need for it so far.. I know in LW it is common practice to fade off bump and detailed textures in animations to easily stop flickering in animations.. Oh well, thanks for the help guys.

IvanB
11-17-2006, 01:45 PM
Hi Nigma,

Flickering huh...There is a few ways to possibly reduce that..One is up the anti-aliasing (longer render time)..another would be distance blur, and lastly..In vue 6 there is an option in the anti-aliasing tab called "Anti-aliasing strategy" there are 5 modes, auto, crisp, sharp, soft and blurred...try some of those and see if it helps reduce the flicker.

I'll have a go at the distance to camera thing, and see what i can come up with.

Just though of something..create a grayscale image for the bump and photoshop it so the ass end of the bump has no detail..replace the current bump with the new bump...If you want I can make a quick tute for you.

Ivan.

CGTalk Moderation
11-17-2006, 01:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.