PDA

View Full Version : one more inane problem...

froggyplat
02-09-2003, 11:11 PM
i have two computers networked at home to use ICS (both are win2k). everything works fine, as it is supposed to. the problem is that the connection constantly gets dropped and immediately re-established (i get annoying "local area connection unplugged" signs on my taskbar). the network cable is attached properly, and like i said, the network is operational so i don't know what the deal is. anyone have any ideas? thx:)

dvornik
02-09-2003, 11:36 PM
Give some more details on your setup. 3 NIC cards and a hub or a crossover cable?

froggyplat
02-10-2003, 12:16 AM
just a crossover, card to card: one has two cards (for lan and cable modem), and the other is onboard lan on the MB.

dvornik
02-10-2003, 12:21 AM
That's kind of a shot in the dark but try to set both cards to exactly the same speed rather than autodetect. Like 100 full-duplex or 10 full-duplex.

R-click "my computer" / Manage / device manager / Network adapters / double-click go to Advanced. Should show you modes for link speed. Just set them the same for both computers.

[edit] By the way, which one of them drops? Maybe the one connected to the modem needs slower speed.

froggyplat
02-10-2003, 04:47 PM
thanks for the suggestion, i'll try that!:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.