PDA

View Full Version : Modeling into an action pose or binding first

kelasa
11-13-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm modeling a character for my Demo Reel. I would perfer my character to be in an action- pose rather than a traditional bind-pose.

Should I model my character into an action postion initially, or is it better to set-up and bind my charcter first then put it into a pose?

yenvalmar
11-18-2006, 03:39 AM
that way you can use it for other stuff. also itll probably be faster to wind up in your end pose by posing a rig. even if you wind up manually resculpting it to pecfect any deformation problem caused by the rig..

lemonyfresh
11-19-2006, 03:21 PM
Like the Vitruvian man:
This makes it easier to paint weights and place deformers.
You can create a pose for the character by posing it then go to Skeleton-Retargeting-Set Nutral Pose

http://leonardodavinci.stanford.edu/submissions/clabaugh/images/vm/leonardo.jpg

rybeck
11-26-2006, 02:50 AM
pardon me to extend topic...
Not having much experience with rigging myself, recently I read following comments by Bay Raitt (http://www.wikicg.com/wiki/index.php/Bay_Raitt) from "Spiraloid (http://cube.phlatt.net/forums/spiraloid/index.php)"... and I want to ask what "home" pose is to experienced Rigging Artists here. Also wondering, in production, if this is true that Davinci T-pose is not favor, and if so why...
I should've been asking from Spiraloid forum, but it seems to be discontinued thread, so I post it here. Please advise me or delete it if this is not propriate ro post here.

============================================
I actually do three poses.

1: home
2: bind
2: paint (often one shape per part)

the HOME shape is sort of a character pose with attitude, anything goes really. its the one where I think about the posture and edgeflows, how its going to move. the character at rest really. hunched, proud, gnarled whatever strikes my fancy really. for the face this usually ends up being all the sliders at 0.

the BIND is the character putting on make-up and floating in a vat of jelly. everything slack, eyes half closed, sort of half da-vinci half fetal position. this is the shape that I use to bind the character to the skeleton. its also handy for doing 3D paint on, since all the skin is slack and I don't have to deal with texture compression/stretching issues when it moves.

the paint shape is really the first part of my two part process of making UV's. I've started calling it "pelt" "pack". I do the pelting in 3D since it allows me to solve projection problems using a 3D toolset instead of limit 2d ones. I pelt the model much like a rug, trying to keep the surface distortion fairly minimal. once I've got it pelted up nicely. I begin packing with a UV editing tool.

I don't really use the davinci pose.

-b
============================================

Thanks in advance...

Rybeck

CGTalk Moderation
11-26-2006, 02:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.