PDA

View Full Version : Conform how to?

boblug
11-13-2006, 11:15 PM
I am trying to make a series of tires conform to a surface (for a racetrack) that is not flat but slightly contoured.
I am having no luck with conform, in fact I follow tutorial and nothing seems to happen.

Is this the best way and if so is there any tutorials on this to help me?

SnipeyX
11-13-2006, 11:36 PM
should be pretty straightforward, create the conform WSM, pick the racetrack as the 'confrom to' object in the conform's modifier panel, then link the tires to the conform object (if not already done in step 1) as long as the tires are above the racetrack, they should be 'conformed' :)

however, that will smash your tires flat into the ground, so I'm guessing it would be better to conform the spline to the geometry and animate the tires along the spline, that's what I do for cars on highways a lot of the time, so yeah I'd say it's a good method to use.

boblug
11-14-2006, 12:44 AM
Thanks for that but my tires are a barrier not rolling. Also they are already 3D so when I conform to surface they end up all skewed.

Should I just do a flat poly, conform and then extrude? This makes it difficult to map.

SnipeyX
11-14-2006, 12:53 AM
oh okay, I got ya. What I'd do in that case is basically create a spline that follows the contours of the edge of your roadway, then place the tires along that spline (non animated path constraint / use the Tools>Spacing Tool)

If you have your roadway setup so that the side of the road is an open edge, you can select that with the edit poly modifier > borders and then create a shape directly from the geometry edges, no conform needed in that case. If you are in a situation this might not work, I would create a spline from the topdown view that follows that path and conform the spline, then collapse, then use the same 'spacing tool' method to put the tires along the path.

That make sense?

boblug
11-14-2006, 01:39 AM
Excellent, thanks I will try.

CGTalk Moderation
11-14-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.