PDA

View Full Version : Making a spline box?

Lua
11-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Ughh, I've been using 3ds max for a while, and I'm still stuck on a simple little problem. I want to attempt to model a building, so I'm going to need a box right? So, I'm trying to make a box using splines, but I can't for the life of me figure out how. I've tried everything I can think of. Making two rectangles and connecting them, extruding the spline, converting a poly box to spline, etc. Everything I can think of either just won't work, or is to complicated for me to manage, yet no one else seems to have any trouble. So I'm wondering, anyone know how to make a spline box? :)

SnipeyX
11-13-2006, 06:30 PM
I'm confused, why do you need a box out of splines? What would you do with it from that point?

Generally, I model each wall of the house from CAD elevation files, so in that case I'm coming from splines for each wall. Otherwise, Why not start with a standard poly box, what is the significance of splines here?

Lua
11-13-2006, 06:33 PM
I'm confused, why do you need a box out of splines? What would you do with it form that point?

Generally, I moel each wall of the house from CAD elevation files, so in that case I'm coming from splines for each wall. Otherwise, Why not start with a standard poly box, what is the significance of splines here?To be honest, I have dabbled with poly modelling, but spline is much simpler/easier, so I imagine if I could modelling using spline boxes it would just be easier. Is poly modelling generally used on building modelling?

SnipeyX
11-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Everyone works differently, and each method has its pros and cons, use whatever you are comfortable with, I just wasn't sure what direction you were wanting to go.

Basically I suppose my response to, "How do I model a building from a spline box" would be, that instead of thinking of a building as a box, think of it as pieces assembled together. So model each piece separately in splines and put the ends together. So model the splines of each wall as separate objects if that makes sense.

Otherwise, just look into the various button in the edit poly modifier (edit poly is more straightforward than edit mesh modeling IMO) Spline modeling is a great asset to have, but at some point you'll run into an occaision where you need to use poly modelling to get the desired result and it'll be handy to know how to get there.

Lua
11-13-2006, 07:09 PM
OK, gotcha! Thanks for the help man. You're absolutely right on all those points. I think I'll take your advice and try modelling each wall at a time.

CGTalk Moderation
11-13-2006, 07:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.