PDA

View Full Version : Characterize whithout T-stand

mrba
11-12-2006, 09:30 PM
What is the best way to characterize a mocap file that does not include a T-pose?

Anders

LoneCanuck
11-13-2006, 07:49 AM
If you are using the Actor, you are just going to have to eyeball placement of the Actor pieces to whatever pose you have - unless there is a point in the animation that has the character standing in a T-Pose.

The character model that receives the mocap data from the Actor can, and should, be characterized in the tradional T-Pose position, as this sets the 0 point for rotations on all the joints (this is important since any rotations).

Helpful hint: When capturing, either cinematics or in-game moves, have your actors stand in a T-Pose before and after the scene/motion. This not only allows you to create a T-Pose for the Actorization for every shot but it also allows for any movement/changes of the markers on the motion capture suit that occur while shooting.

Cheers,

LoCK

mrba
11-13-2006, 08:13 AM
Thanks for your reply,

I have a couple of un-characterized fbx and bhv files with different animations, walk cykles, jumping etc.
Trying to re-target those aniamtions to my skeleton results in a very strange result e.g. arms trying to follow the arms of the run for but still in t-stand.

To manually rotating all the joints back to a T-stand and then characterize works but is a lot of work.

anders

colkai
11-13-2006, 10:51 AM
When working with these sorts of datasets, I can tell you from painful experience, sometimes, "donkey work" is the only way to get it done.

A lot of data has to be edited, tweaked, massaged or just plain fudged to get it to work.

mrba
11-14-2006, 07:38 AM
"donkey work" ...good expression :)

thanks for your reply!

anders

Curtis
11-19-2006, 05:57 PM
If you have motions that have no T-Stance, simply manipulate the skeleton into a T-Stance (manually rotating the joints) and at that point, activate the characterization. You only need your skeleton in a T-Stance for the characterization step.

Cheers,

Curtis Garton

CGTalk Moderation
11-19-2006, 05:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.