Just recently I was working on a few online courses, one for basic
Houdini and another for scripting using C shell and Perl, when the
courses were canceled. Knowing there is a need for more training
services for these and other CGI related topics, I'm wondering if
there's anyone who would be interested in taking these courses. They
are more or less designed around a 12 week "semester" but are self paced
and can be completed in less time if you want to. We're thinking of
offering instructor online support at about $99/class fee; we're a small
team of seasoned instructors and developers.

Here's the URL's to the near completed syllabi:

http://www.digitalcinemaarts.com/edu/houdini_tutorials/course/syllabus.html

http://www.digitalcinemaarts.com/edu/TD_tutorials/syllabus.html

If there's sufficient interest, we will complete the courses and post
updated information and details.

If you're interested in the course, please email me off list at:
info@digitalcinemaarts.com

Thanks,
Mark Story

Shannon
02-09-2003, 09:25 PM
Every aspect of that syllabus appeals to me.
If your team completes these courses, I'd will subscribe.

I'm particularly interested in the creation of SHOPS through VEX builder. As it is, unless someone hands me a SHOP to use, I'm helpless.

MCronin
02-09-2003, 09:33 PM
I probably would not go for that Houdini course seeing as how according to the syllabus you are using all of the free training material from SideFX.

What I would pay for, though, is an online course that concentrates on VOPs. I'm particularly interested in building SHOPs, and SOPs as VOP Nets. If you put together a course that covers advanced material that's not already freely available, I'd subscribe in a heartbeat.

MCronin
02-09-2003, 09:35 PM
The C Shell scripting for CG sylabus looks interesting.

alexvfx
02-09-2003, 09:53 PM
I am not speaking for Mark, but
No...

Mark isn't using the "Free Material" to train people.
The free material is used so that Mark doesn't have to teach things to people that is already presented in the manual and online tutorial.

So I am very sure that things that will be covered here will be beyond the "Free Material" or "Free Tutorial".

Just email Mark about it to comfirm. :)

xionmark
02-09-2003, 09:56 PM
Hello,

There will be additional material supplied in the course, not just what's available through Side Effects.

As I said, these are in progress.

--Mark

MCronin
02-09-2003, 11:34 PM
OK, I'm interested. So long as the free material already available does not comprise the core of the course. I've been through all that more than once, and I'd like to see some new more advanced training material.

I didn't realize this was Mark Story, putting this together. In that case you can count me in. I'm sure you'll provide some great training and it'll probably be a steal at 99.00.

xionmark
02-10-2003, 12:17 AM
Hello,

I should have been more clear in my original posting, the truth is that the course was in mid-development when it was abruptly canceled. So I thought I'd just toss the idea out there, price it at an affordable rate, and see if it takes off. We're not looking to make a ton of money, just a little extra income for our time answering questions; we'd just like to offer some additional training options for folks.

Some notes:
1) Since there's no "textbook" for Houdini available, we are using much of the Houdini docs and training videos, but are also building additional material. The C shell/Perl scripting course has 2-3 textbooks required for the class.

2) There may be additional video tutorials created as time permits. We'll have lots of extra sample files and tips as well.

3) The Houdini course is a "basic" Houdini course, but compared to other courses will be more advanced. My problem has always been overloading a student with too much information ... I don't think you'll be disappointed.

4) The sylabus itself is a good road map (once it's done) for understanding the content and direction of a class, use it as such for your own education. And I encourage self motivtated people to use anything they can for their own study; we're really offering some of our time to answer questions for you as you learn these subjects.

5) We have no intention of offering certification, job placement, student loans or anything like that, just good solid course material and helpful online support to answer your questions.

Please feel free to email if there's any other questions.

BTW: Thanks for the compliment. :-)

--Mark

ggg
02-10-2003, 12:23 AM
Hi Mark,
I coud really have used this a year ago, and knowing your backgrouind it will be great material. Hopefully it is still available when I'm ready to back to Houdini later this year.
Good Luck,
Graham

betty
02-10-2003, 06:07 AM
yeah
this sounds super cool. but i guess the core of the material will really need to differ from what else is available for it to succeed.
i mean, for new users to houdini there is the 3dbuzz houdini course and this is free, sure there is no support but there is a healthy community going and with the videos released by sesi people are making their way through along with the constant help from the generous users found at odforce and sesi themselves on their own forum.
i think if you up the level in the material this would really appeal to many people who quickly are able to take houdini to a certain level once they discover it but quickly plateau due to isolation from a pro environemnt where one quickly picks up pointers that they simply would never see so quickly or even think of doing unless falling into it accidentally etc, etc so obviously i mean people who have some 3d experience but haven't totally clicked over to the guts of how houdini does things....

also, is the course free with the support, or is it the flat $99.00 and i assume this is US$....

Shannon
02-13-2003, 11:46 PM
Mark Story, putting this together. In that case you can count me in. I'm sure you'll provide some great training and it'll probably be a steal at 99.00.

I'm up for any sort of Houdini trainning, especially from such a seasoned pro. That seems to be rare in the realm of internet courses.

But I just gotta say this. There seems to be a a lack of mid to advanced level trainning that is easily accessible. I think that the materials on the SESI site along with the apprentice materials take you through the basics. The tutorials on Techimage and Odforce are all great to get you up and running in many respects. The best materials out there for those who have the basics already are the sample hip files on the apprentice CD and the challenges on the Odforce forum. Thats it!

Am I missing something? Let me know. please.

alexvfx
02-14-2003, 02:00 AM
Prior to version 5.5, SESI shipped with their cd a vast amount of examples for SOP, POP, and CHOPs in .hip format on the Houdini CD. Those were a great way of understanding what's going on with the OPs as you can pick through the HIP file.

I hope SESI will have something like this in version 6.

Shannon
02-14-2003, 03:02 AM
Yea, the mysterious HFS/demo directory still referred to in the docs.

however, the apprentice CD has a bunch of those files.

Anyone see beta 6 yet?

MCronin
02-14-2003, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by Shannon
Anyone see beta 6 yet?

The public beta is supposed to start next month. Hopefully it'll be available to Apprentice users as well. I can't wait to see what's new.

Shannon
02-14-2003, 03:25 AM
I missed the list mail regarding the beta program. Was that the upshot? Next month startup?

That would be fantastic if apprenticers could join in.:bounce:

MCronin
02-14-2003, 04:59 AM
Well. I think the closed beta is for customers only, so I'm not going to repost it here.

In a nutshell:

Closed Beta February 10-28th, you have to contact SESI support to get in. Final Acceptance (I assume this is also closed) March 3-14. Public beta in March. First customer ship in April. There's no details about what changes and additions have been made.

You can read about it at odforce if you missed it on the mail list.

xionmark
02-14-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Shannon

<SNIP>
But I just gotta say this. There seems to be a a lack of mid to advanced level trainning that is easily accessible. I think that the materials on the SESI site along with the apprentice materials take you through the basics. The tutorials on Techimage and Odforce are all great to get you up and running in many respects. The best materials out there for those who have the basics already are the sample hip files on the apprentice CD and the challenges on the Odforce forum. Thats it!

Am I missing something? Let me know. please.

No you're not missing something, you're right on target.

There's certainly a high demand for quality education by computer artists, unfortunately, there's far many more "diploma mills" than solid academic institutions, large and small. It's a dire situation ...

And in regards to that, because of an unbelievable amount of crazy red tape and "opposing forces", I've decided to postpone the Houdini course indefinately; I can't say much more than that. The course may appear online or as a workshop I could bring to your location, it's really hard to say what may or may not happen at this time.

There's been a lot of interest expressed and I really appreciate that, I'll be contacting each and every one of you today. There's a good possibilty I'll go forward with the scripting course as it's had a great response too.

Sincerly,
Mark Story

Shannon
02-16-2003, 04:47 AM
I managed to pull this out of my trash bin.
So, for all you Houdini fanatics who dont get the list mail
here is the important bit.

As a valued customer, we invite you to participate in all
three phases of our beta(6) program:
Initial Acceptance Test February 10-28
Final Acceptance Test March 3-14
First Customer Ship April 2003

So, I'm hoping that we see an apprentice version somewhere
around late april.

Mcronin, could you loan me 17K so I could buy
the Master edition? :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.