PDA

View Full Version : Appetite for Destruction

Twincruiser
02-09-2003, 02:34 PM
For me it has been a month full of seminars. One of those seminars included one free-of-choice project. I chose to remake a CD cover for an already existing album. The album I picked was the legendary Appetite for Destruction by Guns N Roses. The original CD cover had in my opinion a very boring design so I cranked it up with my twisted imagination.

The songs represented in my opinion the decadency of man (Welcome to the Jungle and Paradise City for instance). In Welcome to the Jungle Axl Rose talks about 'fun and games' and this is what I found most attractive to represent in my version. The rollercoaster, which stands for life and everything man has achieved, ends in an ironic almost laughable fiery doom full of pain and misery. Axl Rose's voice has this quality...when he sings it seems as though he's suffering enormous pain, as though he's on fire and cannot shake the flames off his body. This I wanted to represent along with Slash's powerful play...which for me is like the instigator (the fuel if you will) of the great fire which is burning inside of Axl Rose.

Also if you look at the logo you'll will see three roses and two guns which stand for the struggle between the devine and the humane...the divine trinity versus the duality of man. The numbers 2 and 3 basically represent life-death and life-death-resurrection.

René insisted on trying out his newly aqcuired flame technique to enhance the spirit of the clown. He created the gas that is coming out of his mouth and the flames on his hair. I realized the background flames with Painter with my new 'oil' technique. Together we designed the new logo for the CD.

-Michel of Twincruiser

http://images.deviantart.com/large/indyart/dark/Appetite_for_Destruction.jpg

coCoKNIght
02-09-2003, 02:59 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

ehem... I didn't expect less from you guys.

:D No really, superbe as always, I like the new cover a lot better than the original one! :thumbsup:

SheepFactory
02-09-2003, 05:03 PM
:buttrock:

Very Nice!

DevonH
02-09-2003, 06:20 PM
Hey wow. That's awesome. I like it alot.

jeroentje
02-09-2003, 09:44 PM
Great design for a great album :)
But do you really think this is a boring design?
The black one with the cross is, I agree. But this was the original one:

http://members.aol.com/gunsnflowers2/album/appetite/App_braz_5.jpg

Twincruiser
02-09-2003, 09:55 PM
I've never seen that one. I thought the original was the the cross cover and it was the only one I knew of. Thanks for letting me know.

jeroentje
02-09-2003, 10:00 PM
I thought so ;) This one was the original. It got changed by the record company after a year or so I believe. Too bad. This is a bad quality scan, I had the record (vinyl) back when it just came out. That's one of my favorite albumcovers.

Temporal
02-09-2003, 10:07 PM
:surprised

Okay, no doubt about it, that rocks :D :applause:

Najd
02-09-2003, 10:39 PM
wooaw, excellent work, amazing, great, impacting, I luv it

Maybe the title wouldn't be very visible (from a distance) on a 12x12 cover but... Who cares !! :buttrock: :beer: yesss

Bruzundanga
02-11-2003, 11:11 AM
I don't feel this cover as Guns' one. It brings me Psicho Circus from Kiss.
The drawing of the cover is great. But the idea didn't convince me.

But I REALLY love the logo design.

btw,
old cover was changed because of some accusses from feminists in USA that claims that old cover is a kind of insult. If you see closer. It's a robot that raped a girl.
That's why they changed the cover to that boring one.

I have the LP too

Fortunately, here in brazil. They never changed the old cover in CDs.
Thanks for living in this third world.

:beer:

Stephen Vyas
02-11-2003, 11:11 AM
Truely inspiring.. Your new oil technique produces a very nice effect. Just curious, are the red swirly things, underneath his chin and on both sides of the road, roses?

Anyways, looking at this just makes me feel like brushing up on my 2d skills..

:beer:
-Steve

Crazzy Legs
02-11-2003, 11:35 AM
is your avatar from a Gaurdians card?

Twincruiser
02-11-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Crazzy Legs
is your avatar from a Gaurdians card?

No...that's a Greek hoplite from one of our own pieces. The piece is like a year old. Or are your talking about the guy who posted before you? :D

flamedevil
02-11-2003, 12:09 PM
Absolutely beautiful !
I love it :airguitar :buttrock:

stephen2002
02-11-2003, 12:34 PM
freaky, very nice.

Indolent
02-11-2003, 02:23 PM
Beautiful. I know it's a stretch, and probably too late now, but I'd like to see a step-by-step progression of how this was created. The creative process behind something as well done as this, is just as, if not more inspiring than the end result. Thanks for sharing this.

Swoop
02-11-2003, 03:25 PM
FFS thats beautifull work u done there.. i really like it. Way way way better then the original...

keep up the good work :D

Diffused
02-11-2003, 03:36 PM
You inspired me to model him... argh! Maybe next time..
GREAT work. too much fire perhaps?:D

TheHellmaster
02-11-2003, 04:06 PM
I love it! :applause:

But I think the original Cover rox much more cause it´s just great! :rolleyes:

:xtreme: TheHellmaster :xtreme:

elfufu
02-11-2003, 05:02 PM
i love it looks great!! A+++++++ but lets not bash the original cover that fast i like it. cheesy skulls and crosses worked once. hell i knew i had the shirt. the reason you never saw the original cover was because it was banned because of the raped girl on the cover, which by the way if you see it from close and clear is one of the greatest drawing in rock albums. IMO...

anyways great work love it all :beer:

valu
02-11-2003, 05:13 PM
I love GNR .... and I use to love the original design ,but your job is realy great ... realy rocks .

Congratulations !!!

My last thread:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=401059#post401059

Corn Dog
02-11-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by jeroentje
Great design for a great album :)
But do you really think this is a boring design?
The black one with the cross is, I agree. But this was the original one:

http://members.aol.com/gunsnflowers2/album/appetite/App_braz_5.jpg

You can see this cover and other artwork in the RED and BLUE albums inside cover.... I think?

Ill look around when I get home :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.