PDA

View Full Version : End of world swirling sky | suggestions on how >>>

everlite
11-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Hey guys,

I'm about to create/animate a sky like the concept below for a matte painting comp, It has a swirly motion that centres towards a light beam. Any suggestions on how to approach this effect? I'll be using 3ds Max for this, but open to suggestions.
http://www.thedaveidentity.co.uk/web/gb/city_destruction1b.jpg

- Dave.

SoLiTuDe
11-12-2006, 04:19 AM
I would look into afterburn if you have it / can get it, doing clouds with it would be ideal... the particle motion wouldn't be incredibly hard with a vortex, but getting the actual look of the clouds without afterburn will be pretty hard.

everlite
11-12-2006, 12:04 PM
I though afterburn was just a fancy particle sim, does it also provide materials/shaders for smoke and volumetric effects?

- Dave.

Baothebuff
11-14-2006, 07:35 AM
Afterburn is NOT a particle simulation tool but a series of volumetric shaders, so it's exactly what your looking for.

thomwickes
11-16-2006, 06:16 AM
i reccommend giving this thread a read

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=155001

there's some great information in there on how afterburn works... if you're using maya that is.

ukdesigner
11-28-2006, 09:44 AM
That concept is probally the scariest thing ive ever seen in my life !!!

Looks exactly like a nightmare Ive had. I saw the swirly thing with lighting type static electricity. It was also raining purple liquid fire drops and the air felt solid, like it was weighting you down to the ground. MAN that is SCARY stuff

Is this your own designs?

everlite
12-01-2006, 06:15 PM
Yep that's freaky, maybe you should consult and excosist :)

Yeah it's an original concept painting for a short animation i'm working on.

Cheers - Dave.

ukdesigner
12-02-2006, 04:32 AM
haha! Maybe its symbolic for somthing or it could be mistaken for some weapon of the future? Nukes ? Anyway as scary as your picture is, make sure u put a message in this post so i can see ur finished master piece cheers !

CGTalk Moderation
12-02-2006, 04:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.